Tashamed Again

JUSTTIGHT

Ok here's my question! Can you rewrite a cd-rw, using the (cd-rw 788)? I have tried several times to rewrite on a disk that was used for backing up data. I am using rewritable disk, however it gives some message like wrong cd.
Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?:confused: :confused:

Have you blanked the disk first?

I'm not familiar with the 788 so I don't know, but it's quite possible the CD writer can't read re-writable disks. I know my portable CD player can't. Just speculating, mind ;)

THANKS ANYWAY

My problem is not being able to read the disk. This is the unit that burned the rewriteable. My problem is being able to rewrite on the rewrited disk. This unit was marketed as the new (CD-RW) and it would really be a shame if it is unable to rewrite disk.

I thought maybe there was a special rw disk I had to use.
I pretty sure that I'm not the only one that has this unit, but maybe the only one that has this problem. I really hope I'm over-looking something. It would really be something to have a trailer-load of back-up disk that you can't update.

Have I got this right? You've got a re-writable disk which already has some data on it and you want to add more data? Was the disk 'closed' when you did the last burn? If it was closed you can't add more data. You can only re-use the CD by wiping it or blanking it and starting again from scratch. To add more data to a disk you have to have left it 'open' so you can add more data later. In this state it won't play, as far as I remember. It's possible your burner doesn't work like this and what I've said doesn't apply, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. This leaving the disk open works with ordinary CDs as well.

Can't think of anything else. Best of luck.

I think you mean the CD-RW 700?

You said you burned data with this unit - I think it only burns audio discs - not data.

The 788 doesn't support multiple sessions on one CD so your CD is always "closed" when you're done. Each time you wish to "rewrite" on a CDRW (with the 788), you first need to erase it blank.

The 788 doesn't support multiple sessions on one CD so your CD is always "closed" when you're done. Each time you wish to "rewrite" on a CDRW (with the 788), you first need to erase it blank.
The 788 and the cd-rw does not give you that option
You said you burned data with this unit - I think it only burns audio discs - not data.
I use it for data back-ups. I back-up all 8 tracks seperately (rec. session #1 of song A) to later restore, for further modifactions (rec session #2 of song A) and so forth
Have I got this right? You've got a re-writable disk which already has some data on it and you want to add more data?
or not rec. session #1 is no longer of value
Was the disk 'closed' when you did the last burn? If it was closed you can't add more data.
This seems more like a cd-r instead of a cd-rw kind of defeasts the purpose
You can only re-use the CD by wiping it or blanking it and starting again from scratch.
If I could I would

It sounds like the Tascam can't do what you want it to do. It only burns 'closed' CDs, so the data is fixed and can't be changed once it's burned. All you can do is load it back onto the machine, add more tracks, mix them down and burn them to another CD. Also, if you can't wipe the CD-RW on the Tascam, and you don't have access to a PC with appropriate software on which you can wipe the disc, then the "rewritable-ness" of the CD-RW is lost to you. You can only use it exactly as you'd use a regular CD-R.

A CD-RW is only rewritable used this way: you write to it, wipe it, then re-use it again as a blank CD. You can't add more data to it in the way I think you want to do.

You can only add more data to a CD which has been left 'open'. You don't need a CD-RW for this, you can do it with a CD-R. However, from what Dunder XIII has said the Tascam can't do this. So that is the problem: the Tascam can't write CDs in 'open' format.

Sorry dude, I thought you were talking about a stand alone burner. I guess this is one that is in your computer. My bad.

Sorry dude, I thought you were talking about a stand alone burner. I guess this is one that is in your computer. My bad.

It is a stand alone, that looks like a normal pc burner. It is made specificlly for the tascam 788.
It hooks up to the board by scsi. I want to believe that is is more than just a cd-r
After all it is the Tascam CD-RW 788 IF NOT I WAS TAS-SHAMED

Back