Tascam X-48

JesusFreak

I'm looking to upgrade in the near future to a new recorder of sorts. I've currently been using the Korg D-1600 which, while is has been rock solid, is also quite limited in what it can do.

So, browsing around, I stumbled on this unit. The Tascam X-48. It looks like it's pretty much brand new but I was wondering if anyone would want to look it up and give a first impression of it just by the specs point of view.

Anyone that has actually used it or owns it would be great, but since it's brand new, those may be limited.

Anyway, what are your thoughts of this unit?

While I'm sure it's a great unit, at 5 grand I think you can get a lot more bang for your buck. An Alesis HD24 and a computer would come in at half that.

Hey Track Rat,

I'm certainly not closing any doors to what type of upgrading I'm going to do. In fact, only working with Studio's in a box has certainly made me more ignorant as to what else it out there.

So what all would I need going the route you suggested? What I mean is, I know I need the hard disk (h24?), but what else? Sorry for the ignorance but I'm used to buying one box that does it all.

What all would I need going that route to have a good setup? Effects? Control surface? Console?

The only other outboard gear I have is a couple of pre's and a compressor and a Antares AVP1.

Any other info you could give me would be great going in this direction.

I might be ahead of myself here. What do you record? Yourself one or two tracks at a time? An entire band multitracked in one pass? That will dictate the best direction for you. I was looking over the X-48 and it seems the in/out options are extra. Granted, with the Alesis you'd need a console for at least setting up a monitor mix, so that's an expense too. Like I said, it depends on how you want to operate.

Track Rat said:
I might be ahead of myself here. What do you record? Yourself one or two tracks at a time? An entire band multitracked in one pass? That will dictate the best direction for you. I was looking over the X-48 and it seems the in/out options are extra. Granted, with the Alesis you'd need a console for at least setting up a monitor mix, so that's an expense too. Like I said, it depends on how you want to operate.

Yes, I just record myself. Contemporary Christian. Vocals, backgroud vocs, acoustics, electric guitar, keys, drums (syths), bass and a few other things here or there.

When you say that the x-48 in/out are extra, what exactly are you refering to? Do you mean aux sends and returns or something else?

Back