TASCAM Wallpaper

Hill Audio. Long before Mackie and Berringer came onto the scene with their compact rack mountable 16 channel 4 buss mixers in the late 90's, Hill Audio more or less invented the format in the mid 80's and did so without cheap surface mount designs that were impossible to work on. Hill's Multimix board offered phantom power, 3 band eq, 5532 op-amps, 90mm long throw faders and a host of other top end features and construction standards. Maybe you might have seen pics of them in old Mix magazines? That's where I learned about them way back when.

Anyway, here's a nice example of the 16x4x2 multi-mix rack-mountable mixer with outboard power supply, (not shown)...

View attachment 94547

right click to download...

Cheers! :)

Cool! The layout of that mixer is pleasing from an aesthetic perspective. It sort of reminds me of the Crest Audio rackmount mixers.

Presenting the Realistic SCT-3 stereo cassette deck from around 1970. This was a bare bones model with no Dolby, no bias choices for different tapes and is basically fashioned after what was to be known as the "shoe-box" recorder. All that said, it must of been a fantastic machine because hey! It says "Professional Series" right on the front of it! :D

View attachment 94595

The next piece of analog gear certainly wasn't the most elegant or well built, but it gave birth to a new genre of equipment, the insanely popular distortion pedal.

The first version of Electro-Harmonix' Big Muff Pi was introduced around 1970 and has gone through a myriad of changes/refinements/looks but figured I'd pay homage to the first generation units which had 5 different sets of knobs mostly based on the economic logistics of EH having bought up tens of thousands of surplus knobs and as they ran out of one style, they'd just slap on the next one. The unit on the left has the first issued knobs and the unit on the right had the last version of those surplus knobs which appeared to be something more akin to a TV set of the day but I digress...

View attachment 94652

Still a cool shot.:thumbs up:

I had one of those big muffs, flimsy piece of junk. LOL The top casing got really caved in from stepping on the switch, then it started making noise....more than the usual. It met it's demise against a plaster wall. :D but hey, while it worked, I learned a lot of Neil Young songs.

I had the Little Big Muff, 1976 era build. It too was a piece of junk with a cheap foot switch that went defective almost immediately! :laughings:

But, I wasn't expecting much for 20 bucks, (brand new in the box!), back then. :D

What's really amazing to me is what these now sell for today on ebay. I should have bought a case lot of them back in the day and retired to a private island now with the profit!

Oh well.

Moving back to the shores of America, here's a couple of classic pieces from dbx. First, the 900 series frame loaded with 8 channels of 911 type I nr units and after that, the infamous 161 mono compressor in its domestic housing which could be converted to a rack mount configuration with two units tied together for stereo...

View attachment 94672

View attachment 94673

Just a brief follow up on the dbx 160, which was the balanced version of the 161. In this one, I've strapped two of them together in their more natural rack mount config. And just to prove that I'm not a dbx fanboi, I've also included 4 channels of Dolby SR/A noise reduction! :D

View attachment 94692

More excellent work Ghost.

I have several other model types in my DBX 900 series rack. Let me know if you're interested in more.

Back