Tascam us-1800 vs audient asp880

gongli

I am currently using Tascam us-1800 and just wondering how much of an upgrade will the Audient ASP880 would be in sound quality...Anyone care to shed light here?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I want to make industry standard quality CDs to sell, so I am looking for quality on cello and piano recording. I have pretty good mics (Oktava mk 012 and 319, Studio Project C1, C4, etc). Is the Tascam holding me back, or can I make redbook CD quality good enough to sell, with the Tascam us-1800?

The interface will be the least of your detractors from a quality CD. The song, the performance, the instruments, the room it's recorded in, the room it's mixed in... and, most importantly, your skills at mixing... all have a more profound affect on your mixes.

I don't know anything about the audient, but I used to have the US-1800. The mic pres are clear and transparent for the most part. Which is good for type of recordings you will be doing.

I know nothing about the Audient.

Good luck and have fun!! :)

To me this is a hard one to call. On the surface, I would say it would be a major improvement (gut feel here) probably much better pre-amps than the Tascam. But the question is, will it be heard? With good mics, good room I think the quality of the new interface should reveal itself. The Audient ASP880 costs 4X more, therefore it would stand to reason the components are much better (not a guarantee).

The one thing I didn't like was the ADAT for expandability on showed outs, no inputs, which would limit you to only 8. If I was going up to this level, I would make sure it could be expanded with at least on more ADAT input for 16 channels. 16 seems like a reasonable amount of inputs/channels for most of us.

As in the other thread - people are selling commercial CDs recorded on far worse equipment, and were doing so long before the nice digital kit was available at today's low prices. I used to be very blasé about the interfaces, but now, after listening really hard, I can hear differences. The trouble is these differences are nowhere near as vividly obvious as swapping a mic, or moving that mic a bit. Quality is so hard to really quantify, once the numbers and types of digits have passed a certain level. We're talking levels of excellent - not the old fashioned noise and distortion you could actually hear!

Back