Tascam US-122mkII Phantom Power Question

I recently purchased a Tascam US-122mkII (http://www.tascam.com/products/us-122mkII;9,15,3816,19.html) because I want to try micing my guitar cab with a dynamic and a condenser microphone.

However at first glance it seems like turning the phantom power switch on sends power to BOTH microphones instead of just one or the other. Would this damage my dynamic microphone? Also is there a way to prevent phantom power going to both mics?

As long as the dynamic is plugged in with a balanced xlr mic cable the phantom will do no damage. If the mic cable is unbalanced it will short the phantom and the condenser will stop working.

Cheers
Alan.

Aren't all XLR cables balanced?

They should be, I was making sure that you did not have some kind of silly xlr to jack cable, or a cheap dynamic with a unbalanced cable and a xlr fitted (i.e unbalanced mic with xlr pins 1 and 3 linked).

If you are using a good name brand dynamic and an xlr to xlr cable you should be fine. If it's not wired correctly the phantom will short out and the condenser will stop working.

Cheers

Alan.

Back