Tascam us-122L help please... Please :P

tre2004

okay, I have been recording with a kareoke mic which has done decent, but now I want something better. I have an Audigy 2zs soundcard, and today I went and purchased a US-122L Bundle.. My soundcard doesn't have RCA inputs.. The RED AND WHITE ones.. so I went and bought a thing where you plug them into it, and makes it a 1/4 to fit in the soundcard.. I'm getting audio.. but there is a HISS.. and it isn't the mic.. I can unplug the mic and it still does it.. it stops doing it if I unplug the WHITE rca cable from the back of the Tascom unit.. but then the mic doesn't work.. there is something to do with the rca cables, which I just got brand new.. I don't know what to do.. I do know that I got ripped off.. as in I payed $280 for this, and I found it online for $140

If I can get it working right, I'll bite the bullet and just keep it.. but this hissing noise is killing me. I have also tried turning the knobs down, to no avail. If someone can PLEASE help me.. I would really appreciate it..
Thank you so much

First off, if you paid $280, take it back and get a refund.

Secondly, the Tascam is a USB soundcard - that is, you shouldn't be using the tascam and your audigy card at the same time. You can connect everything to the tascam and your recording software should recognize it. Read the getting started guide that came with the unit, for starters.

scrubs said:
First off, if you paid $280, take it back and get a refund.

Secondly, the Tascam is a USB soundcard - that is, you shouldn't be using the tascam and your audigy card at the same time. You can connect everything to the tascam and your recording software should recognize it. Read the getting started guide that came with the unit, for starters.

I have read the book that came with it.. I dont' know if it makes a difference.. but it's a us-122L
But, about the book.. it tells me what knobs are what.. but doesn't say anything about how to set it up to the computer to record.. it says how to record with the Cubase program that comes with it.

I normally record with Fl Studio that I make beats with.. I can plug headphones into the unit and hear the mic.. but can't get it to record. That is why I used the RCA outputs..

Fl studio has it where you can choose which asio drivers to use.. there is a 122L listed, but when you go to choose what to record with.. there is nothing

I was wanting to get a mixer and a decent microphone, but when I bought my soundcard I didn't research enough, and its just an internal card with hardly NO inputs.. Do you have any suggestions?

Scrubs is right. The Tascam US-122L *is* a soundcard. You should not have two soundcards active at the same time. First, go into the device manager in your computer and disable your old Audigy soundcard. Then make sure that the 122 is being recognized by your recording software, Cubase, I guess. If you're not using the Cubase then ignore eveything that follows and wait for someone else to answer. If you are using Cubase... read on.

On the menu on the top bar click on "Devices". On the new menu that opens, click on "Device Setup". In the new menu that appears, on the left side click on "VST Multitrack". Then on the right side, the area labled "ASIO Driver", make sure the entry is for the Tascam device. It might still have something that is for the Audigy card. Select the entry for the Tascam USB device. If there is no entry available for the Tascam device, then re-install the Tascam software. At least, check these things. Then let us know how it's going.

Nick98338 said:
Scrubs is right. The Tascam US-122L *is* a soundcard. You should not have two soundcards active at the same time. First, go into the device manager in your computer and disable your old Audigy soundcard. Then make sure that the 122 is being recognized by your recording software, Cubase, I guess. If you're not using the Cubase then ignore eveything that follows and wait for someone else to answer. If you are using Cubase... read on.

On the menu on the top bar click on "Devices". On the new menu that opens, click on "Device Setup". In the new menu that appears, on the left side click on "VST Multitrack". Then on the right side, the area labled "ASIO Driver", make sure the entry is for the Tascam device. It might still have something that is for the Audigy card. Select the entry for the Tascam USB device. If there is no entry available for the Tascam device, then re-install the Tascam software. At least, check these things. Then let us know how it's going.

Thank you for the help. I went to controlly panel and for playback, and recording I changed from audigy to the Tascam and I can record in Cubase which is cool!

But, I'm wondering.. like I mentioned before I usually record with Fruityloops cause thats what I play my beats with.. usually if I try to record with cubase and rewire fl studio to play a beat, it kills my cpu. I have went in the audio options in Fl studio and changed to Tascam, which lets me hear the beat through the unit, via headphones.. but still can't figure out how to get the mic to work on fl studio.. Does anyone know if it is possible to record audio in Fl Studio w/ the Tascam?

AND (if someone has time and would like to help me w/ something.. plz read.. I'll make it fast)

I paid more money for this than I wanted. With the Audigy 2Zs card in mind.. is there a decent mixer that I can buy that will hook into it.. in the 200 - 300 range.. closer to $200 the better so I can also get a mic. I would rather have a decent mixer and a mic.. but I'm new to the hardware part.. so I don't know anything about it. If someone can refer me to a decent mixer that I CAN use w/ the soundcard I have now.. I would really appreciate it.
Thank you sooooo much

Chris

Tre I would suggest to you that picking up a microphone that makes use of an XLR cable instead of a 1/4" cable will be most benificial to you at this point for use with the Tascam.

BTW: Take it back to where ever you paid 280 for it and tell them to pricematch or give you a full refund.

Last edited:
bigwillz24 said:
Tre I would suggest to you that picking up a microphone that makes use of an XLR cable instead of a 1/4" cable will be most benificial to you at this point for use with the Tascam.

I'm sorry.. I didn't explain myself good. It came w/ and XLR mic, Before i tried the Rca cables I got this adapter where you can plug an xlr cable into a 3.5 plug or whatever, then put a 1/4 on it to fit in my computer.. but it didn't work at all.. I guess cause the mic needs a power source? But, I think I'm going to just take this back and get me a good mic and use it that way.. with the adapter.. I still would like a decent mixer if anyone has any ideas..

Thanx again

tre2004 said:
I'm sorry.. I didn't explain myself good. It came w/ and XLR mic, Before i tried the Rca cables I got this adapter where you can plug an xlr cable into a 3.5 plug or whatever, then put a 1/4 on it to fit in my computer.. but it didn't work at all.. I guess cause the mic needs a power source? But, I think I'm going to just take this back and get me a good mic and use it that way.. with the adapter.. I still would like a decent mixer if anyone has any ideas..

Thanx again

Okay then plug the mic into the XLR port on the front of the tascam turn up the gain on it and you should be in business.

All the extra cables and adapters are not needed.

bigwillz24 said:

Thank you.. I will check it out..

I read over it. Its the same manual that came with it. See at first I couldn't get it to work cause I was trying to record audio with fruityloops, like I always do.. I can now record in cubase and cool edit, but still can't in fruityloops..

and yes, it's the bundle that I got.. came w/ cubase le and gigastudio or something.
Is it possible... that you know of to record in Fruityloops?

Yes it is. However i am not a Fruityloops expert. I know that if you got the other programs to work then it has something to do with a setting in fruity. I'd check the manual for fruity.

Back