Tascam us-122

j7b said:
Just picked one up the other day. IT ROCKS!

Hey J !

I have been looking for something to use externally.
I was told about these the other day.

Would you care to share some more information?

Since these are External, can you use them with your existing soundcard in your PC even if the card is not the greatest quality?(soundblaster)

Does it sound good?
User friendly?

Do you think it will work on the following?
Dell 4550
Pentium 4 Windows XP
2.4 gps processor
60 G HD
256 Mb RAM

Do I need to increase the RAM to this machine.

Sorry for the newb type Q's but I'm thinking of changing over to computer recording. I use a Tascam 424 MK III at present and I really need to know what to get to do so.

Thanks alot

Denver

Be happy to help State,

I'm quite a newbie myself (though I've been researching alot) and I gotta tell you, this thing is easy as pie.

You don't even need an existing sound card. The device is esentially an external sound card. You would continue to use your existing card for games and stuff though.

I think it sounds great, I was blown away by how good my recording sounded. Of course, I'm not a sound junkie like alot of the folks on here, but I'm confident you'll be pleased with it.

The device itself is very user friendly. The software is harder to figure out than the device. I read the manual (I know, crazy huh) and was on my way in no time. I just got it Monday and I just put the finishing touches on my first recorded song just a minute ago.

Your machine should be good. I've got an AMD 1.8 with 512mb RAM. Worst case, you might need to add more RAM but I don't think you'll need to. Just don't run any other programs at the same time and make sure all the crap that runs in the background (like instant messengers and the like) are shut down.

Since you've already been recording, I suppose you already have mics and stuff. One of the reasons I bought the US-122 is because it has phantom power built in (all I've got is the us122 and 1 mic).

Hope this helps!

J7B

Thanks J,

I really needed to know that bit about the card in the machine.
I wasn't sure if I had to remove it or if it would still record through it or what.
In all honesty, I have very much wondered where I am going to plug in the mics. Are there any XLR jacks? Any 1/4" jacks?

You have given me very valuable info.

Good luck

NP State,

There's (2) microphone inputs (phantom powered by the way!), and (2) 1/4" inputs paired together, and a switch to flip between the 2.

In otherwords, there's a "Left" and a "Right" input, each have a mic and a 1/4" connection, and each have a switch for either "Mic" or "guitar." So you really only have 2 inputs to work with at a time. Either 2 guitar, 2 microphone, or 1 of each (that's not including the MIDI input by the way).

J7

I hope it "rocks" as much as you say j7b because I just placed an order for one last night.

Just dropped about 350 bucks to get my little studio up and running. Ordered a Tascam US-122, Shure SM57, Shure low-Z 25 ft. mic cable, Ultra boom mic stand, and a pop filter. Already have an extra P3 700 MHz computer, Sony MDR-CD350 Headphones, Acid Pro 4.0, and a couple sets of speakers. Should be a nice setup for the money. I am stoked!

Have no fear 44runner!

I can't vouch for the mic you chose (I went with the Marshal mxl603s), but that seems to be a pretty common all purpose mic.

Remember, the Tascam comes with a copy of Cubasis, so you don't *need* the Acid software to record and add effects.

Have fun, and let me know how your first recording goes.

J7B

j7b said:
Have no fear 44runner!

I can't vouch for the mic you chose (I went with the Marshal mxl603s), but that seems to be a pretty common all purpose mic.

Remember, the Tascam comes with a copy of Cubasis, so you don't *need* the Acid software to record and add effects.

Have fun, and let me know how your first recording goes.

J7B

Well the Sonic Foundry rep gave me Acid for free, so no sweat there :D Working in computer retail has a few perks I guess. Will also allow me to max out the RAM on my spare computer for a reasonable amount of money...

Awesome J...I was thinking about buying the Us-122 myself ...(I gotta get the money though)..

But tell me, It comes with Cubasis...are we talking about A lite version..or the whole thing?...How many tracks can you record?..sample rate 24-bit 96mhz?

And by the way, one thing I was wondering is that I've seen the US-122 and it has L and R inputs for the guitar as well as the mics...Does that mean that it records mono each guitar or mic or what???...I don't get it... :S

I'm a noob too :D

Peace
Jose

cubasis is the lite version of cubase.

you can record 2 tracks at a time, but the number of tracks you can monitor while recording is up to the PC not the tascam unit.

i've got the 428 and it works like a charm. i use it to record outside the studio, and i use it as a mix controller for the in-house studio.

How good are the mic pres on this thing? I'm currently using an Audiophile 2496 and an Audio Buddy. I was looking for something for my laptop, and was wondering how the US-122 compares to the Audio Buddy.

I don't have anything to compare it to but they seem pretty good.

I just finished a song using a Marshall MXL603s and the TASCAM us122 if you want to check it out and see for yourself. Both the guitar and vocals were recorded thru the mic.

Nice recording there! I'm impressed with the clarity of the preamp. I'll have to ponder this a bit more and try to come up with some $$

I'm seriously thinking about getting the Tascam us-122 to go with my laptop...
Listening to what you did with it sounds like it might be worth it...

Nice job man....

:) :eek:

Anybody know how the latency is with the 122? I've been using a Lexicon Core2 for years with my desktop, and I've finally had it! I'm goin' mobile!

I really want to get the 428, but I won't exactly have a whole lot of scratch left after shelling out for a laptop. The 122 looks pretty sweet, but after owning the Core2, I've learned to be very skeptical.

If you could help me I really apreciate it

I wanna know more about this US122, cause I'm about to buy one, it really atracts my attention

1. I've heard your work j7 and sounds veru good, how do you think it would sound applied to a rockband? cause I want my distortions to sound very powerful and presenceful.

2. I've heard works with cubase, but do you think could work as nice with Cool Edit?

3. I live in Mexico, where do you think I can acquire it by the net and gets here ASAP?

thanks, hope you can help me out, I'm really newbie

I just ordered one from Musicians Friend to use with my laptop, cant wait to try it out....
I hope it works well with Cool Edit Pro....

Nachohinojosa,

1. Recording is all going to depend on how you mic everything. The us-122 is simply acting as a conduit for your music from the mic to the PC. Now, keep in mind the us-122 only has 2 inputs, so if you wanted to record your whole band with just the us122, you 'd either have to record 1 or 2 instruments at a a time, or record the whole band using only 2 mics (which wouldn't sound that good IMO). Or, if you have a mixer or PA or something like that, you can connect the us-122 directly to that. Only prolem is you only get one track to deal with then. As far as your distortion question. I'd mic the amp.

2. Can't answer that, but I can't see why it wouldn't. A copy of Cubase comes with the us-122. It's an alright program.

3. I bought mine at www.musiciansfriend.com Any online vendor should have them though.

Back