Tascam US-122 USB Audio/MIDI Interface

Nateneal1966

I am looking at buying something like this. I have never used midi, although i have a keyboard and drum machine with connections.
I play guitar and would like to set up a home recording studio with maybe 2 inputs at a time. mainly just myself-guitar and voice.

My question is about the midi function and connections.

Would i hook my drum machine directly up to this devise and record onto the software, like cubase, sonar etc.

Then when the drum track is on the recording will i be able to edit the drums-both beat and kits.

I have read about midi on this site but trying to think which dircetion to go. Also the midi controller would tie each midi device together then connect to this or would the computer be the midi controller.

any discusion would be great

Nateneal1966 said:
I am looking at buying something like this. I have never used midi, although i have a keyboard and drum machine with connections.
I play guitar and would like to set up a home recording studio with maybe 2 inputs at a time. mainly just myself-guitar and voice.

My question is about the midi function and connections.

Would i hook my drum machine directly up to this devise and record onto the software, like cubase, sonar etc.

Then when the drum track is on the recording will i be able to edit the drums-both beat and kits.

I have read about midi on this site but trying to think which dircetion to go. Also the midi controller would tie each midi device together then connect to this or would the computer be the midi controller.

any discusion would be great

I have a US-122, but have only used the MIDI functions to a limited degree. As MIDI is just data, you should be able to use your external drum machine to create a MIDI drum track in your software (the bundled Cubasis VST that comes with the US-122 is horrible, so definitely upgrade), which can be edited within the program and played back using drumkits within your computer/software. You should also be able to mixdown your MIDI drums to an audio track using your drum machine as the sound module (so, you'd get those kits), though I've never done this.

Back