Tascam US-122 - do i need monitors?

dekodesigner

Hi there.

I'm pretty new to creating my home studio, and my first step was the MXL 990 and a Tascam us-122.

The first problem I have come across is as follows:

I have set up the us-122 correctly, signal is being received and processed, and I can hear the saved files using Windows media player.

But when I use a piece of software to record, such as reason, cubasis or acoustica mp3, there is no sound output at all?

I am wondering if I need to buy some monitors fo the US-122 as it acts as a stand alone sound card - and that is why I hear nothing from my Realtek soundcard with 2 standard desktop speakers when recording.

Am I correct?

If so, what monitors would you suggest?

If i'm wrong, do you know what could be the cause of my problem?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

thankyou, James.

You must choose the us-122 as the soundcard to use in both the "Microsofts Windows" sound properties and "Cubasis" (or whatever recording software you use).
Also...you must have your speakers pluged into the us-122's "outs".
(you might need a special adapter from radioshack to make it work) :D

Well, I have chosen it as a sound card in both Windows and Cubasis. I just haven't got the speakers attached the the US-122 line outs.

If I am to plug my desktop speakers into the US-122, will every piece of sound direct through them, for instance if I play an mp3?

Well at least I know what my problem is now, I think my best option is to buy a cheap pair of high spec monitors.

any suggestions?

Yes, you can connect your computer speakers to the US-122 and use it as your recording and playback soundcard. Chances are, it will sound better than your onboard soundcard anyway, and you'll save processing by not running 2 cards simultaneously.

For cheap monitors: Check the M-Audio BX5a, KRK Rokkit 5, and the Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2a.

Monitors

Will the monitors above include the correct leads to connect them to the Tascam US-122? Or will I need to purchase specific leads?

Help it much appreciated people.

No, you would need to purchase cables to connect from the outs of the US-122 to the monitors. Check www.markertek.com for a good selection of cables at reasonable prices. RadioShack is another option for various adapters.

monitor cables

Any idea what the specific cable for the US-122 to monitors would be?

RLC cables etc?

I'm pretty new to all the terminology so advice would be appreciated.

The outputs on your US-122 require casbles with RCA connectors. Most powered studio monitors have 1/4" jacks. So for these you would need unbalanced 1/4" to RCA cables.

Most inexpensive computer speakers have cables pre-attached with a single 1/8" stereo jack which plugs into the sound card. So if you wanted to use these for now, you would need an adapter to go from the stereo 1/8" inch jack to a pair of rca's. You can ask about this at Radio Shack - they should be able to help you with that. However you'll probably be a lot happier in the long run with real monitors.

Thankyou very much Jeff. That's the exact response I needed, regarding my situation.

2 questions.

1. Do the majority of monitors have the 1/4" to RCA connection? Or are there any specific monitors I would need for compatability withe the US-122? Or can I basically buy any set of monitors I like to connect through 1/4" to RCA?

2. Is an RCA connection 2 leads, 1 white and one red, awaiting the input of a black, and a red lead, and on ther other end, a 1/4" which will be connected to the monitors??

For instance, would the leads in this website be the RCA to 1/4" cable?

one side being the 1/4" which would connect to the Monitors

The other being the RLC leads (Red and Black) i would connect to the US-122 line out?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-8-METRE-2-X...ryZ23783QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think I will go with the monitors as I feel I need to start becoming more advanced with my musical set up if I want to start my own record label.

It seems like this place is full of very usefull people so I'll be sticking around, and maybe helping others with problems shortly ;)

Thanks guys, thumbs up at this end :)

Last edited:
All the monitors I can recall seeing use a 1/4" connector - you should double check when you buy them however. As far as compatibility with your US-122, there's really no special requirements. Just make sure you look for "powered" monitors (otherwise you'll need a separate amp). Other than that, just find some that fit your budget and will do the job for you. Do a search in this forum on "monitors" and you'll find about a zillion threads with all kinds of advice (some good and some bad) about how to select your monitors.

Back