Tascam TRS-8

iangerber

I have a tascam TRS-8 tape machine and it has a problem. I can get sound into and the meter indicators light up. It plays audio back but wont record/erase. Any thoughts on what the problem might be? I plan on running my TEAC Tascam 5A into it, but for now I'm stuck with my digital options.

The usual reason is that the heads are coated with gunk. Have you made sure they're completely clean?
Other things someone new to the machine can do are forget to arm the tracks (you did press the button for each track so it flashes, and you did hold down PLAY and RECORD to start recording, right?)
Oh, and make sure the tape is mounted with the brown, shiny side facing the heads. People have done that too :3

I have a tascam TRS-8 tape machine and it has a problem. I can get sound into and the meter indicators light up. It plays audio back but wont record/erase. Any thoughts on what the problem might be? I plan on running my TEAC Tascam 5A into it, but for now I'm stuck with my digital options.

Is the behavior the same on all eight tracks ? make sure is armed properly as mentioned by jpmorris. IF it is the case, then we need to go and tell you where to check for voltages or the BIAS oscillator. You will need a scope and know how to use it.

Interesting, I always thought these machines had an oscillator per audio card, but no - it's U100 on the control board.

Interesting, I always thought these machines had an oscillator per audio card, but no - it's U100 on the control board.

Which seems to be a proprietary Tascam part. i doubt that is the problem, one thing to check the P15 connector in the control PCB board and J1 in the Mother PCB board (the ones where the cards plug in). Check for the 145Khz signal on pin 1 of P15 in the control PCB and pin 8 on the Mother PCB.

Which seems to be a proprietary Tascam part. i doubt that is the problem, one thing to check the P15 connector in the control PCB board and J1 in the Mother PCB board (the ones where the cards plug in). Check for the 145Khz signal on pin 1 of P15 in the control PCB and pin 8 on the Mother PCB.
...once you've made sure the simple stuff is okay first.

Thanks guys. I bet it needs cleaned. I armed the tracks and i have consulted the manual.

I used a tape reel to test it with some old tracks (i did not record) and they sounded muddy. I'll start there.

Suggestions for cleaning the head?

Ah, that's the other thing. What is the tape? If it's Ampex 456, that might itself be the problem.

Might be a good idea to look at getting a fresh reel of RMGI SM911 or similar.

As for cleaning the heads, try to get some isopropyl alcohol, at least 90% pure. (Rubbing alcohol has too much water in it). To actually do the cleaning, I use cotton buds, other people prefer makeup pads or some other kind of swab. Basically you dip the cotton bud in the alcohol and scrub the head with it for a bit, preferably until the bud or whatever comes away clean.

You should be able to see the individual head elements. I do remember that my TSR-8 had the heads caked completely black and solid, and I was thinking "The 32 didn't look like that... that can't be right, surely?" It wasn't.

Back