Tascam TM-D1000 to record onto (???)

zerotosixty

I want to buy a Tascam TM-D1000 so that when I can afford a DAW, I can mix with it. So if I get the mixer, what is a cheap $200-$700 recording medium. I was thinking about purchasing a Sony Mini Disk recorder, but will those multitrack 8 tracks? If not the mini disk then I'll get a cheap DAT, are any cheap DAT's worth buying though?

Any Help :)

0 2 60,
The MD recorder you mentioned and DATs are 2 track stereo units usually used for mixdown, I think you want a multitrack unit such as TASCAM's DA-38, DA-88, or an Alesis ADAT machine. I think it will be hard to find one in your price range though. Maybe on ebay, or digibid. Actually, I am not sure about ADAT prices, maybe you could find an older one for 7 bills, but I do not know.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Unless you want to spend more, you might be better off saving up for your DAW.

0-60:
How cheap is cheap? Here's an idea, particularly if you want to get up to speed. If you've been there and done that, forgive me, but it's not clear from your post how much of this you've done. (I'm at the very beginning myself). Elsewhere on this site may be found a series of articles, a few of which concern the use of a VCR for audio recording, with near hard disk quality possible. And it's as cheap as the nearest WalMart. Miles better than cassette, not as good as CD, but simple as "push". Something to start with Right Now.

The TMD1000 will output a stereo analog signal, as well as digital A & B in S/PDIF and AES / EBU, both RCA and XLR connectors. So connection to a VCR should not be a chore. It also has nice mic preamps and great effects, but I find it easy to get lost in the middle of things. Hard unit to learn the basics with.

Good luck!

0 - 60:
Oh, by the way, you might want to learn more about the TDIF interface on the back of the TDM1000 before putting down the green on any multitrack. The mixer will in theory work with anything, but it is clearly designed to work with other Tascam units. So it might be a good idea to ask some questions about digital interfaces in any multitrack, particularly as not all Tascams have a TDIF. The advantage to using that is that everyhing - clock, audio, and I think MIDI machine control - passes through one connector.

I'm trying to get a signal to my computer's SB Live! Value card and am so far greeted with silence, so I can't claim to speak from personal experience. Just that I read about the TDIF interface and it got me to start looking at other Tascam stuff (then I saw the prices. . . )

Back