Tascam SX-1 LE

A friend just bought one about 4 months ago, and it took a while to read the manual and start using it. But, we're beginners at recording ourselves. All I can say is wow! Compared to the studio we had spent alot of money in, we're getting a better recording than we ever had. I think its a great recorder.

Given this is the only real digital recorder we've used...we're learning as we go. It seems to be more than we imagined.

I'll see if I can get him to reply and give you a better opinion.

SX-1

I have an SX-1 in my studio out back (far away from the wife an' chilluns) and I must say that I am extremely happy with it. I had a terrible time with the manual, and the Tascam forums were a godsend to me. Well, we all know what happened to the forums, so you're pretty much on your own. What helped me the most was that I met an engineer by way of the forums who lived in the same state that I do, and who agreed to let me book time in his SX-1 equipped studio for a tutorial. I spent six hours with him, and at the end of that time I was very comfortable with the unit. I would recomend this avenue to you if at all possible, as the manual is the stuff of nightmares! It is a solid machine with good sounding onboard effects, unbelievable routing flexibility, and GREAT CLEAR SOUND! Good quality mics (no $30.00 Sampsons) and imagination are all you need. Oh, and an extremely talented musician like my Bud The Green Manalishi will be all you need. We have recorded in multimillion dollar studios with a Grammy award winning producer, and I am very happy with how our recordings stack up. This is my first studio of my own, and the SX-1 has helped make a lifelong dream a working reality. NOW BRING BACK THE D*MN FORUMS, TASCAM!!!!!!!!!!

criticalfix
I bought the LE about a month ago and I like it very much. The only thing I am having a bit of trouble with is understanding the bussing/routing. I think perhaps if they had a central screen where I could just route and buss things in a tree sort of graphic diagram it would work better for me.

Of course the manual is marginal help as with most of the products. Seems to me the one big thing they always lack is a full sample project so one can get a clearer picture of how it all works together.

I twould have even been of some help if they would have included a block diagram of how everything was or could be routed.

I keep working away at it and I hope slowly but surely the light is coming on.

As far as recording quality, I think it outstanding myself. I came off a Yamaha AW 4416 into the SX LE and I notice a difference in sound quality. The 24bit uncompressed I think makes all the difference.

The many dedicated buttons and ability to view it all on the "big screen" is very cool.

If anyone knows of any tutorials and the like, I sure would appreciate the link.
thanks,
Terry

Back