Tascam series 70 on Craigslist

Ok - untested - no refund - sold as is where is. At the worst, you can part it out for a good bit more than I'm asking. Parting out the power supplies and overdubs worth way more than I'm asking. All looks well but I didn't have a power cable that would fit it and I have tried to replace the power connector(2-prong) and l disconnected the power connector and then stopped working on it as I figured I had a good chance of wiring it wrong and blowing it up.

Bought from a band guy and he said it worked fine last time they used it some years ago

When I see this kind of stuff in a description...I move on.

The absolutely lamest excuse about not being able to test something...
...is when they tell you they didn't have the power cord. :rolleyes:
I think a 5th grader could overcome that "technical difficulty".

And then when they tell you “it worked fine 10 years ago”... :laughings:

Sounds like a setup...so be prepared to part it out 'cuz it probably doesn't work right.

The absolutely lamest excuse about not being able to test something...
...is when they tell you they didn't have the power cord. :rolleyes:
I think a 5th grader could overcome that "technical difficulty".

I don't know about the model 70, but Revox machines have a bizarre proprietary connector. I have seen people mod them to take a regular IEC cable, though.

Well OK, some do have weird connectors on the machine end...but man, it's still just AC power...3 wires --- Positive/Neutral/Ground.

It's not rocket science to bypass the actual connector and just use ANY power cable and temporarily hardwire it just to test.

I notice that whenever the functionality is questionable or appears like the device might have issues...
...the seller has no power cord to test it. :D

Or like when they've owned it for 5 years...but are not sure how it works or how to check it...'cuz they're not a technician and they don't want to take a chance messing it up. :rolleyes:

I'm gonna be a snob...

You all know I'm a huge fan of Tascam gear right, everybody? So that's my disclaimer to what i'm about to say...

I don't want to be a snob but I believe that, unless you want a series 70 8-track as a collector's item (for you personally...not as an investment) then this is a great deal. It was the first 1/2" 8-track.

If you want it as a day-to-day operator or because you think its going to have some mojo to it, forget it...not at any price.

Why?

The series 70 had issues electronically and mechanically. They weren't a strong performer and Teac quickly went back to the drawing board over these realities.

They were (AFAIK) not great sonic performers...the power supply design during this era of gear had room to grow and that is such a huge factor in sonic performance...the Series 10 mixer was riddled with this same affliction.

GOOD LUCK finding spare/replacement parts as well as community support.

The Series 70 certainly is a part of history...a pinnacle moment IMO...the first of several like this for Teac, but it is not reliable and ungainly to move. If you want a 1/2" 8-track then spend the same amount of money and get an 80-8 (if you want vintage vibe in its presentation) or a 38. You'll have MUCH better reliability, parts and user support. More practical in its portability too.

And I haven't even talked about the warning flags in the listing as were highlighted by others above. Again, if you collect vintage Teac professional gear or want an eclectic piece then this may not be a bad deal but if you want a good working deck that will keep lovin' you back then get something else.

Love the orange though...

Even if it were in perfect condition I would say run away fast from the Tascam 70-Series.

Can’t test it before purchase because it will upset his dogs... too funny. :laughings:

People should not drink and list. There should be a Breathalyzer hitched up to everyone’s computer that will prevent it from starting up unless they're under the limit. :p

I once inquired about a stand-alone CD Player because the guy said it powered up, but was being sold untested. I emailed to ask if he had a CD and a pair of headphones that would fit the unit. He said yes. I asked him to please test it. He told me not to be a wise ass and he didn't have time to test it. It never sold and I never stopped being a wise ass. ;)

No worries; I was just linking it for anyone who might have an interest. I had actually not even registered that it was series 70 - as in before series 80, which wasn't all that wonderous in my mind either lol.

AK

This thing is local for me and I have a pickup truck, so I would not have a problem getting it.

The description alone keeps me from wasting my time. Lotsa pictures, but no money shot (the heads). Be cool to sit inthe corner and look at, but thats about it.
I'd take it for fify bucks tops

Yeah, no headshot is always frustrating. If everyone could see a tape deck as a head block with a machine built around it then everyone would see a tape deck as it should be seen. Gotta get a pic of the heads or its wasting people’s time. It’s a bit like selling a sword without a photo of the blade. Can’t tell much by the handle alone.

These things do have a certain appeal like an old non-working jukebox or coke machine. I just hate to see people throw money and time into something if their true heart’s desire is to record. Of course some people’s heart’s desire is to restore... an old tape deck or an old car, with no intensions of actually driving it much or at all. And that’s cool too because that’s what they set out to do.

- The reality and The Way of Life in today's Analog Recording.

-Helpful affliction in the above endeavor.

:D

Your making it sound like it's impossible to buy a good hassle free working tape deck these days. This would probably be true if you only wanted a Model 70 but if you narrow down your next tape deck purchase to something like '1/2 inch 8 track' then you will easily be able to find a ready-to-go working tape recorder.

Back