Tascam Series 70 4 track on 1/2" and recap

ShebaStudios

As the title says, I am looking into recapping my series 70. It has very low hours and in great mechanical condition.

Realizing this unit is pushing 35+ years I suspect replacing the capacitors in all of the modules would be a good idea.

I have a service manual with all diagrams and specs. My question is, what calibration would be needed upon completing the procedure? And what is the best course of action to complete it?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Noah

Just a normal calbration would be needed...nothing special.

Can you clarify what kind of advisement you are looking for as far as the "best course of action"?

Do you mean "where do I start?"

If that's the case, I always recommend starting with the power supply.

Rare bird, the 1/2" 4-track 70-series. Put up some pics when you can.

Thanks for the post! :)

The course of action I'm looking for is in the calibration. I don't have a calibration tape, I am confident this is a must, but I am more interested in knowing what bias adjustments must be made in the unit after the capacitor replacement.

I am a decent solderer(is that a word) but do not have a ton of electrical knowledge. I just don't want to get into a situation where I recap the whole unit and am stuck not being able to use it properly because I lack an oscilloscope or some specialized tool or training.

The history of this unit is kind of interesting. My father worked for a local university in the machine shop.At the end of the school year in the mid 80's the audio department picked it up for about $4000.00 from a local broadcast company(presumably to expend their budget). It was clocked as being used 10 hours in 10 years and we got it at the yearly garage sale for $20.00 cash!!!

I regularly demag the heads before use and my father and I replaced the bearings in both motors two years ago but I have noticed some inconstancies in record and playback volume and some scratchiness in the pots.

Having followed a few different threads on this forum I am sure it needs a proper setup but thought it might be best to recap it first.

Thanks,

Noah

I know I am late to this but curious as to how this all went. I am in the process of resurrecting my Tascam 70 1/2" 4-track as well...

Cory gave good advice.

By recapping the power supply you should notice cleaner detail, and for sure the machine will require calibration.

Maybe you could do the upgrades and then have someone locally calibrate the unit.

Recapping the power supply -- I like the idea. And it's easy to get to. Getting the transport issues worked out as I type. Machine was properly calibrated for 456 5 years ago. Probably could use it again.

The Tascam 70 is a unique sounding machine!

Back