Tascam Portable Recorders

sean60148

Hey Everyone,

I am thinking about picking up a hand held or field recorder and could use some feedback. Everything I have ever read in the past says Tascam makes some of the best stuff. I can use some help in deciding on which model.

Models in question are:

DR-07 mkII, DR-08 and DR-2d.

I am going to be using it for the most part to capture guitar and bass riff ideas as they come to me so I do not forget them. Ideas come fast and furious and I just can't remember them all when I wake up in the morning. I would also like to be able to put them into Riffworks or Cakewalk if the need arises.

I have the Dr-2d, it's an excellent recorder. The internal mics are cardoids, which will yield better stereo separation than omni's. You can overdub and record up to 4 channels using both internal and external mics. It might be more than you need. For just capturing ideas, maybe the DR-5 would suit you.

Thanks for your reply ja2002. I noticed that the users on this form are pretty high tech. I hope to catch up one day. =) I am going to check out that link and see what else I can find out. Thanks again for the info you provided.

You need to review the capabilities of some of these recorders and then consider what you might want to do in the future. They are very powerful recorders. If you are sure capturing riffs is your only need, then get the Dr-05. It's a great recorder. The Dr-2d does twice as much and cost near twice as much.

Another good recorder is the Sony M10. If you want battery life, the M10 beats them all. Personally, I like the Dr-2d because of the dual recording option.

Getting ideas out is the main function atm. I am getting my feet wet with Cakewalk and would like to be able to shoot files to the computer and use them. I am a total noob at recording and have been trying to figure out what my needs will end up being, but was looking at one of the mentioned recorders to fill a couple rolls for the time being. I have been able to hear a couple of sound clips captured with the DR-2d and was impressed. Also saw some info on the Sony M10 on the forum you pointed me to earlier and it sounds promising as well. Ill do some more research, I want to grab something asap but am trying not to be to hasty.

Thanks again.

Back