Tascam Porta Two Problem

_brian_

I dug out my Porta Two from the loft and sadly found it wasn't in perfect working order. First I had a problem with the heads staying engaged which I managed to rectify by removing the tape assembly and turning one of the wheels. Now I don't have any problem with this.

One problem that is quite debilitating is channel 3 seems to retain previous recordings no matter how many times I re-record on the channel. The previous recordings just become more and more distorted after more recording.

Every other channel seems to be working fine, but the problem is: having the use of 4 tracks is fine, but I can't work with 3.

Anyone shed any light on this issue?

Thanks

I might have found the problem, but admittedly know nothing about tape heads. The erase head seems to have two contacts for each erasing part. Three of the four erasing parts two contacts short, however one of them is open circuit. I've tested the contacts on the erase head circuit board as I thought there might be a problem with the wires, however the wires were fine.

It definitely is the erase head that's not working, and found out it should not be open circuit. Also the channel the head is supposed to be erasing matches the channel on the erase head which is open circuit. Is there any way of repairing the erase head, or do I somehow have to source another?

Thanks

Wow!

It definitely is the erase head that's not working, and found out it should not be open circuit. Also the channel the head is supposed to be erasing matches the channel on the erase head which is open circuit. Is there any way of repairing the erase head, or do I somehow have to source another?

Thanks
IF I'm reading your post correctly, I don't believe there is any way to repair a defective head, unless you can verify it to the head wires, and then being such fine wires and mil spec soldering job, is a dubious proposition at best. If you're really attached to the Porta Two, you might want to source one for parts (hint: I have one), or consult Tascam Service for repair info:

http://tascam.com/contact/repair/
(323)727-7627 from Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm Pacific Time.
:spank::eek:;)

IF I'm reading your post correctly, I don't believe there is any way to repair a defective head, unless you can verify it to the head wires, and then being such fine wires and mil spec soldering job, is a dubious proposition at best. If you're really attached to the Porta Two, you might want to source one for parts (hint: I have one), or consult Tascam Service for repair info:

Service and Repair | TASCAM
(323)727-7627 from Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm Pacific Time.

Thanks for the reply Reel, I was hoping you'd get involved! :)

I did re-solder the head contacts on its little board in the hope that the problem might have been a solder joint that had dried up and had a hairline fracture was present. Sadly there was no change after doing this. I had read someone had shocked their erase head back into life by using a 9v battery across the contacts - i find this hard to believe though so wont try unless I hear something more concrete.

I'm caught in two minds, I know the Porta Two is not the greatest cassette based portastudio to collect, but it's all I've got to quickly get ideas down at this moment in time. If it were a 246 or 244 then I'd definitely want to repair it. But if it's going to cost a lot of money I'd rather just sell it on ebay for spares and save for a more modern portastudio, or for when i see a 488 or a 246 up for grabs.

Ok!

The 244, 246 and 488mkII are each outstanding devices in their own right, but a 424mkIII might be more readily available and reasonably priced, overall.

Hi Brian,

I've done pretty much the same thing and I've got the same problem about the heads not staying engaged. I've opened it cup and it appears when I press play that the chasis that moves foreword with the heads on it, doesn't go quite far enough, with the result that the ping roller doesn't engage the capstan and the main rotor for the right hand reel doesn't quite engage with the drive wheel.

What did you do to fix your problem? I'm not sure it's exactly the same issue as me, but I could do with some pointers.

Thanks

Stuart

Back