Tascam Porta Two HS <with> dbx II 224 rack?

Ritzy

Registered (Ab)User
Hey folks!

Been lurking here a while, but this is my first post...

I'm just starting to get into recording and I've very recently purchased a Tascam Porta Two HS cassette 4-track (actually, i'm still waiting for it to arrive in the post).

I also have an opportunity to get a dbx model 224 Type II noise reduction rack for fairly cheap...

What i'm wondering, would the dbx NR have any use when combined with the Tascam Port Two (the Tascam already has onboard dbx II). I'm planning to multitrack individual instruments, then transfer this to PC and use editing software to do the overall mixing between the various instruments... For example: I'd use 4 mics to mic up the drums and record a drum mix to the Tascam, then transfer this to the PC as a single "track"; then repeat a similar process with the other instruments as necessary.

Would the dbx NR have any use, say, between the Tascam and the PC when i'm transfering the tracks? Sorry for my ignorance here; still kinda new to this and on a steep learning curve.

Also, on a side note, does the Porta Two HS (the one from the late 80's, not the newer Porta02) have individual outs for each of the four tracks, or just a stereo out?

Any input would be much appreciated. Oh, and great forum by the way!... ;)

As the porta two already has dbx II built in, there is absolutely no reason to get a seperate outboard unit. You want to have dbx turned on when recording and when playing back. Just leave it "ON" all the time. Stay within approx 0db on max peaks when dbx is engaged.

Yes, the porta two has 4 individual tape outs as well as L and R line outs (stereo).

Make sure to do proper cleaning maintanance after each recording session.

Good luck. :)

Thanks cjacek, much obliged! :)

The Tascam just arrived... nice 80's engineering and you've gotta love those needle VU meters! :cool:

However, it actually appears to have dbx noise reduction, rather than dbx type II... what's the difference? :confused:

Regarding leaving the dbx on, I've also heard that by leaving dbx off and recording into the red on the VU's can increase the signal-to-noise ratio and fatten up the sound nicely (plus this is the high-speed model so it does double tape speed). Does anyone have any opinions on this, versus leaving the dbx constantly enganged?

What happens when I record with with dbx and play back without, and vice versa, record without dbx and play back with?

Finally (and sorry about all the questions, but I haven't been able to find the answer to this one anywhere)... with the 4 individual tape outs, is it possible to record each track individually to a PC, one at a time (using a program such as Audacity, or Kristal) and then syncronise and mix them on the PC? I mainly want to do this to record multiple-mic'd drums, so I can spread out the individual tracks across the stereo field on the PC, adding VST effects, EQ, etc to each track as necessary.

Thanks again!

You're most welcome! :)

The porta two is equipped with dbx II, which is just a simplified version of the original dbx I system. The former was used for lower bandwidth systems such as the cassette based recorder and the latter for more sophisticated, wider track, higher speed tape machines.

If you want to leave the dbx OFF and push the meters then that's fine. If you want it ON and stick around 0db for the peaks then that cool too. Whatever sounds good to you is all that matters. Don't worry about fattening up the sound. It's just cassette based recording and should be looked at accordingly with its limitations. I'd personally recommend using the inbuilt dbx system. You will get cleaner and nicer sounding recordings that way (especially for cassette).

You will get lots of "pumping & breathing", with emphasis on the high end, when you record with dbx and playback without it and vice versa. Leave it on all the time.

Synchronizing tracks, one by one, is a bad idea 'cause small tape speed variations will cause the tracks to be out of sync no matter what you do. I'd get a proper multi input / track soundcard for what you wish to do.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the input cjacek,

I never considered the tape speed factor, makes sense though. I had a look at multi input soundcards, and I'm liking the look of the M-Audio Delta 1010LT...

...and I think a mixer/console is in order too -time to do some more research I think. Damn, this recording stuff is kinda addictive!...

;)

Back