Tascam Neo (How do you create a Stereo wave file?)

Jroxx7

Hi All,

Please excuse my ignorance on this one.

Scenario:

I have two separate tracks in stereo which I recorded from a 488 into the Neo on two separate tracks. I want to convert these two tracks to a stereo wave file. How does this work in terms of keeping the two tracks in stereo? Do I need to hard pan the tracks left and right during mix mode and then convert to the wave file?

Or is it not possible to end up with one stereo wave file from two tracks?

If that's the case, how do you end up with stereo in the wave file format? Do I need to make one wave file for each track (2 per song) and then sinq them together once transferred into the new recording program (Acid Sony).

Thanks guys.

jroxx7
jroxx7@aol.com

Yes, you would hard pan them.....but you'll still only end up with 2 mono waves. The 2488 doesn't export or import stereo files. Bring them into your computer and any DAW will make a stereo file out of them. But, if you want to bring it back into your 2488, you'll still have to turn them into two mono tracks again.

EDIT: I just realized you're talking about the NEO, I have no idea why I thought you were talking about the regular 2488, especially since you didn't even type "2488" anywhere. :eek:
So my info might be wrong, but it does apply to the regular 2488, not sure about the NEO.

I'm missing something here.
Aren't 2 mono tracks stereo if the info on them is panned appropriately?

I'm missing something here.
Aren't 2 mono tracks stereo if the info on them is panned appropriately?

No, you're 100% correct. That's all a "stereo" track is, 2 mono tracks. But, I'm assuming Jroxx7 is asking the question for a reason that I didn't delve into. Turns out, my answer might not even apply to his machine anyway.

Thanks guys. Yes, I do have a NEO 2488 (just a newer 2488, I believe.) I had a two-track stereo mix from a master cassette recorded on Tascam 488. I recorded those tracks to the NEO 2488 onto two separate tracks (1 and 2). I wanted to convert those two tracks (which were a final mix) into a wave file and then load them into a computer recording program called Sony Acid. So in other words, I want the two tracks to come up separated so they can each be sent to their own channel. Does the created wave file in essence convert the two tracks into one mono track? If so, how do I create a wave file with the two separated tracks? Is this possible?

Thanks guys. Yes, I do have a NEO 2488 (just a newer 2488, I believe.) I had a two-track stereo mix from a master cassette recorded on Tascam 488. I recorded those tracks to the NEO 2488 onto two separate tracks (1 and 2). I wanted to convert those two tracks (which were a final mix) into a wave file and then load them into a computer recording program called Sony Acid. So in other words, I want the two tracks to come up separated so they can each be sent to their own channel. Does the created wave file in essence convert the two tracks into one mono track? If so, how do I create a wave file with the two separated tracks? Is this possible?

I see. I think the only way to do it is to simply export tracks 1 and 2 separately. Bring them into ACID as 2 separate tracks and pan them hard left and right. When you export the tracks from the 2488, you'll be exporting 2 mono files (tracks 1 and 2).

You can mix/master the song (just dont add any processing) and then export the "Song" file - it will be a stereo file.
You can also import stereo files into the Neo - there is seperate stereo file folder in the menu..

Zeek

You can mix/master the song (just dont add any processing) and then export the "Song" file - it will be a stereo file.
You can also import stereo files into the Neo - there is seperate stereo file folder in the menu..

Zeek

Yeah, I forgot we were talking about the NEO. I guess you can work with stereo tracks in the NEO. The original 2488, which is what I have, only works with mono files.

Rami, did the original 2488 not have 12 mono faders and 6 stere faders? As far as I know, the workflow is the same either way - every virtual track in the 2488 neo is a mono track. You simply assign 2 mono virtual tracks to a stereo fader, and the machine allows you to pan them independently. The only difference is that the fader and any assigned effects apply the same to both virtual mono tracks.

In the orignal poster's case, I would recommend exporting the two tracks separately, importing them into your DAW as two mono tracks, and then mixing down to a stereo file. If you recorded initially at 24-bit, by exporting the individual tracks via USB, you don't end up mixing down to a stereo 16-bit track. Of course, I believe the stereo master in the unit would still be 24-bit - burning it to CD would convert it to 16.

Back