Tascam MSR16

So the guides have been rotated, and the lifters "strawed", hah. Q qtip was not needed the straws were a near perfect fit.

But now I need some advice on removing the problematic counter roller, it has a spring and attachment fastening it, which make it difficult to pull out (see pics)

roller

rollerg.jpg

The clip is AFAIK called a "circlip" a pair of real skinny needle nose will do, or you can (which is what I did) get a tool called a circlip pliers. (They have other names too, that is the only one that comes to mind.) It has really small pointy tips and opens when you close the handle, the pin is tensioned on there. That was easier for me than trying to use conventional pliers.

image.jpg
image.jpg

With a good set of pliars you can easily rotate the fixed tape lifters so that the worn bit is on the opposite side. You need to apply some force to the pliars for grip so as not to severely scratch the lifters. Use the pliars near the bottom plate where minor scratches don't interfere with the tape path. I've rotated them 180 degrees. Good for another couple of years of usage ...

Hey The Actor,

I've always wondered how you got the tape lifters off the machine?

When I took a look, I seem to remember thinking I'd need to remove qite a few parts to get to them.

Don't suppose you logged the parts that needed removing when you did it by any chance?

Cheers
Al

I bit the bullet and removed some screws......got to the lifters and removed the plate.

One of the lifter guides rotated fairly easily....the other one, I had no chance of moving. I was scared I was going to bend the bracket if I used anymore force, so decided one moved was better than nothing, and one not moved but no damage was the best outcome I could have hoped for.

I put it back together, adjusted the reel tensions and checked the tape path.

Tomorrow I'll check the azimuth and calibrate it.

Al

Back