Tascam MSR16/MSR25 "LOAD" function

I believe that feature will prevent the tape from running off the reels in fast forward or rewind and start and stop about 30 seconds or a minute's worth of tape at both ends of the reel, head and tail. So it might advance the tape 30 seconds in automatically at the beginning of the tape as well for where your first track will start from. Basically a nice convenience feature.

It should be noted though that feature is probably based on a full roll of tape, 2500 ft. 1.5 mil tape. If you put on a shortened reel or a longer one with thinner 1 mill tape, the feature won't work correctly.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
thanks, as you know i am working on my homemade remote for these machines, i wanted to add that feature. So i had the same question, if it assumes that is always a 2500ft roll of tape. (i still owe you the pics...have not forgotten)

if someone has the manual of any of these two machines, it would be great if you can mention here exactly what it says the "LOAD" button does and what tape length is assumed.

if someone has the manual of any of these two machines, it would be great if you can mention here exactly what it says the "LOAD" button does and what tape length is assumed.

I was going to, but there's a lot of text (it does two things which are described in depth) and I didn't have time last night. If I remember, I'll try and do that tonight.

34. LOAD Switch
LOAD provides two functions:

1) Auto End Stop: This feature stops tape before reaching either its rewind or forward end, no matter what transport mode it is in (except Record and Spool modes).

2) Auto Spool: This feature causes the REWinding or F.FWDing tape to slow down when its end approaches (one minute ahead of the preset points) and smartly spool off the reel.

Both Auto End Stop and Auto Spool functions rely on the same LOAD points, and you can switch back and forth between the two LOAD functions at end time (except when tape is moving in whatever mode).
The LOAD points don't move even if the counter is subsequently reset to zero elsewhere on the tape.

* Programming and editing of the LOAD functions are possible only when tape is stopped.

1) Auto End Stop
To set Auto End Stop points, press LOAD. A point on the tape one minute ahead (on HIGH speed basis) will be set as the rewind end point, and a point thirty-one minutes ahead will be set as the forward end point. Both Forward and Rewind ends are set at once. You can then regard the tape as if it were a single-directional 30-minute (at HIGH) or 60-minute (at LOW) long cassette tape.
When you wish to remove the tape from the deck, press SPOOL then REW (or F.FWD) to get past the LOAD point.

To change Rewind end point, move the tape to the desired point and holding LOAD press MEMO 1.

To change Forward end point, move the tape to the desired point, and holding LOAD press MEMO 2.

To check LOAD points, press CHECK. The counter display will show a broken line. Then, hold LOAD and press MEMO 1. The display will show the rewind end point. To check the forward end point, hold LOAD and press MEMO 2.

To erase LOAD points, hold LOAD and press CLEAR. Both the points will be cleared at once and the LOAD LED will turn off.
NOTE: LOAD points are also cleared when the right tension arm drops to its "off" position as in Stop Edit or Dump Edit modes (see p. 33).

2) Auto Spool
To engage Auto Spool function, hold LOAD and press SPOOL (we suppose you have already set Auto End Stop points).

To go back to the Auto End Stop function, hold LOAD and press STOP.

NOTE: Auto Spool is activated only when tape runs either at REW or F. FWD speed.

To check which LOAD function is currently on ("Auto End Stop" or "Auto Spool"), press CHECK then LOAD.

StoP : Auto End Stop
SPoL : Auto Spool

NOTE: When the MSR-24S is first turned on, it is Auto End Stop function that is ready to be used. Only after you've set Auto End Stop points, you can switch the MSR-24S to Auto Spool position.

thanks a lot for this info. Do you actually use this feature ? in the process of reverse engineering the TSR8, i've found some surprises of functionalities that are in the ROM but were not implemented on that recorder. So i am trying to add these features to the TSR-8 through an external circuit.

I don't use it myself, actually. I'm curious how you managed to read the ROM, though - I thought it was embedded in the microcontroller.

i've read the ROM on the midiizer which is discrete, problem is that it does not have all the commands on it. But with that i was able to figure out the format and then started a brute force approach to reverse engineer all the serial commands. I am still missing a couple, but most of the commands i have them now. It is not that simple as you have to watch the recorder on every command to confirm activity, so it is a lengthy process.

Back