Tascam MSR-16S doesn't erase very well

ultrajosh

I just bought a 1/2" MSR-16S and a batch of used tapes came with it. I don't have a bulk tape eraser so I figured I'd just tape silence over the tape and re-use it. I listened back to see how it worked and I can still hear some very distant music on some of the tracks when I turn them way up. Does this mean the erase head is bad? Another thing, this deck has only 2 heads instead of the usual 3 heads - does that mean it doesn't even HAVE an erase head? Does one of the heads do double duty? Also, how do I tell which head is which? :confused:

Part of the cost-saving process for creating an msr was to leave out the 3rd repro-only head. What you have is an erase head on the left and a record/symc-repro head next to it. 3rd repro heads are primarily convenient for alignment purposes and in the real old days, were necessary for repro as sync/record heads were pretty terrible in frequency response.

To a certain extent, the strength of bias current used for an erase head function can be adjusted on most machines.....if you have test equipment and learn the procedure based on your msr service manual. Your msr owners manual might actually have a chapter on adjusting this internal parameter.

Of course the msr might not have this adjustment...or if it does, it still might not clear your problem because any number of things can make an erase head "not erase fully". Including the condition of the head. You could take the machine to a tech and have them adjust it.

Or, better yet, you could send it to Montebello (if you're in the U.S). At least there, if the machine needs a new head, they can replace it with a factory piece...and perhaps do the same if your record/sync head is also getting to the end of it's life. We're getting to the end of days where these heads are going to be available at Montebello...and adjustments/relapping only work for so long. However...head replacement at Montebello is not cheap for most machines. You have to weigh all this against what you paid for the machine and how many years from now it can be adjusted and kept useable for you to record on.

Now having said that, you could just ignore the problem. Especially if the level of residue isn't so loud that it creeps into newly recorded tracks. A bulk eraser would certainly clear out all signals when you need a clean reel. And be a comparatively effective band-aid solution at low cost. Just make sure you get a bulk eraser designed for half-inch tape or larger. If you only get one designed for quarter inch tape (or worse yet, a hand-held model) you won't be achieving a full erase.

You have to make sure the heads are spotlessly clean. Dirty heads are the usual cause of the erase problem you're having.;)

hisssss - what's normal?

Okay, I cleaned the heads and tape path with head cleaner and q-tips, as described in the manual. Lots of gunk came off the tape path and guides but not so much off the heads themselves. I checked them with my magnifying glass and they look clean. The record/playback head has a dust-mote-sized chunk out of it in one spot but otherwise it looks pretty good, not obviously scratched or anything. I taped silence again and now there's no music bleeding through but I hear quite a bit of hiss and a sort of crackly rumbling sound that seems to get less as I get farther into the tape (sounds like a needle in an LP groove). Maybe I have my mixer turned up too high? Could this be normal tape hiss and I'm just not used to it, having just arrived from digitalworld? The board's a Mackie 1202 which is a little noisy to begin with but this is a whole 'nother level of noisy than the background hiss of the board. I'm listening to the first 8 tracks of the deck. On the mixer I have all 8 channels and the master set to the middle (there's a "U" at that detent - does that mean "unity gain"?) Should I hear a lot of hiss at this level? Next I'm going to record some stuff - I guess if the recorded signal is super loud in comparison then I'm okay, right? I guess the question is what is an acceptable amount of hiss and noise and how do I measure it?

Your recorder has noise reduction circuitry and it may just be inadvertently turned off. If so, turn it on and the hiss should almost completely go away.

Be sure to have it on during both the recording and playback phase of your productions.

If it was on all the time, your monitoring levels may be way too high and your just hearing electronic hiss from the mixer's electronics.

Cheers! :)

It could be that your machine isn't setup for 996 tape after all. In that case the erase current may not be strong enough to erase the tape to spec. Maybe the MSR-16 can't do +9 tape and maintain factory erasure specs.

If I were in your position I would have that machine set back to Quantegy 456. For one you have less head wear and you can be sure the machine will perform best with the Tascam recommended tape.

Since you have a test tape you can do some research and set it yourself. However, I would have it done by a qualified tech the first time.

Is your test tape by MRL? If it is 250 nW/m play the 1 kHz test tone and see what the meters read. If they're at or near 0 VU then your machine hasn’t been set for a hot tape like 996. If it is set for hotter tape your test tones will read well below 0 VU, maybe –5 to –10 on those meters.

-Tim :)

I ran the test tape (TEAC 250 nW/m) and the 1khz test tone put all the meters at 0db or just below. The edges (tracks 1 and 16) seemed a bit lower than the rest.

So this means I need to buy 456 tape or re-calibrate the bias. I'll try the new tape first.

Thanks for the good info! :)

Back