Tascam MSR 16 heads

elmerfunk

To Infinity..and Beyond!!
Could somebody take a look at these heads and tell me what you think. It's hard to tell. These are the best pics I could get so far. He has sent me a dozen or so but they were all blurry. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks...............

Attachments

• msr 16 heads 2.jpg
    msr 16 heads 2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 33
  • msr 16 heads.jpg
    msr 16 heads.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 33
elmerfunk said:
Could somebody take a look at these heads and tell me what you think. It's hard to tell. These are the best pics I could get so far. He has sent me a dozen or so but they were all blurry. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks...............

Sadly, it's impossible to tell. The picts are too far away from the heads and too small. I can't even see the tape lifters very well ... Ask if he has something called "macro" on his camera. When engaged, it's possible to take extreme close up picts of whatever. Tell him to use that. Good lighting helps too. ;)

Yeah I know.......

I sent him pictures that I took of my 38 heads (posted in tascam 38 woes)and told him to try and get a picture like that. I also sent him a picture of these heads from my buddy's msr-16 and told him to compare the heads. He's camera illierate. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• msr 16.jpg
    msr 16.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 48
elmerfunk said:
I sent him pictures that I took of my 38 heads (posted in tascam 38 woes)and told him to try and get a picture like that. I also sent him a picture of these heads from my buddy's msr-16 and told him to compare the heads. He's camera illierate. Thanks for your help.

OK, that's a lot better but I sure would have liked a bit more light. (There's too much shadows). Still, I feel this is sufficient for a quick inspection. I immediately can tell that there is very little wear in the way of the tape lifters and presumably the heads, which indicates to me that this is a lower use machine.

My friend, can you tell the seller to do exactly the same pict but add a light source this time ? Perhaps a flash or other. Tell him to make sure it's done the same way, preserving the clarity, but add a flash or some more general light. I've got my LCD set very bright and it's still dark. That way I can more comfortably confirm the condition.

On second thought, a flash would not work that close up so perhaps if he'd just use more of general room light.

cjacek said:
OK, that's a lot better but I sure would have liked a bit more light. (There's too much shadows). Still, I feel this is sufficient for a quick inspection. I immediately can tell that there is very little wear in the way of the tape lifters and presumably the heads, which indicates to me that this is a lower use machine.

My friend, can you tell the seller to do exactly the same pict but add a light source this time ? Perhaps a flash or other. Tell him to make sure it's done the same way, preserving the clarity, but add a flash or some more general light. I've got my LCD set very bright and it's still dark. That way I can more comfortably confirm the condition.

On second thought, a flash would not work that close up so perhaps if he'd just use more of general room light.
I don't think I made it clear to you. This picture is not of the machine in question. This is another machine that a friend of mine owns. I sent this picture to the guy who has the msr-16 I am interested in. I told him to try this angle with just a bit more room light. If he can get it I'll post it. Yeah this deck the pictures came from is a low hour deck. Check out the picture of the E-16 heads I posted in the Fostex forum. I am trying to make a decision on which deck is the best buy. Thanks again

elmerfunk said:
I don't think I made it clear to you. This picture is not of the machine in question. This is another machine that a friend of mine owns. I sent this picture to the guy who has the msr-16 I am interested in. I told him to try this angle with just a bit more room light. If he can get it I'll post it. Yeah this deck the pictures came from is a low hour deck. Check out the picture of the E-16 heads I posted in the Fostex forum. I am trying to make a decision on which deck is the best buy. Thanks again

Oki, sorry .. misunderstood .. :o

Yeah, when the seller sends you the pict, do post it.

Will check out the E-16 picts .. :)

The heads in the original pics look worn.

The lifters show pronounced flat spots, as well as the record/play head itself showing a fair amount of wear./DA

Yeah I agree with you the more I look at them the more I believe that they are worn. I'd rather find something a little better. By the way the 38 is working great!! Thanks again

A Reel Person said:
The lifters show pronounced flat spots, as well as the record/play head itself showing a fair amount of wear./DA

Agreed but the flat spots (on the tape lifters) are not at all deep. Still, the pict is dark and shadows abound (with probably some oxide residue on the lifters) so I'm not sure how one would be able to tell the cond of the tape path to any degree of accuracy.

By "lower use", I meant in the hundreds but certainly not thousands (hours).

cjacek said:
Agreed but the flat spots (on the tape lifters) are not at all deep. Still, the pict is dark and shadows abound (with probably some oxide residue on the lifters) so I'm not sure how one would be able to tell the cond of the tape path to any degree of accuracy.

By "lower use", I meant in the hundreds but certainly not thousands (hours).
Yeah I am trying to get him to take a good picture he's not very good at it. The first ones he sent me were so blurry they were out of focus. He had his wife take the last ones. They are getting better, but still I am unable to tell. He said that the deck had complete service and tune-up by Tascam in late 2004 and was only used for one session since then. It's been racked up and covered up since. He said he fired it up and all functions are in perfect working order. The only thing I'm concerned about is head wear. I would really rather have the Tascam over the E-16 because of the dbx noise reduction and the sync lock function. Hopefully I'll get some better pics. Thanks guys

I hope you don't mind me posting the msr picts for you. I've cropped and made them into a smaller file size. Definitely better (and bigger) picts allow to clearly see well worn lifters, tape guides and a definite flat spot on the heads. Don't buy it is my recommendation.

Attachments

• tn_msr_heads_2crop.jpg
    tn_msr_heads_2crop.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 33
A Reel Person said:
Ahem. I there an echo on this thread?? :eek: ;)

This is confusing. :confused:

I'm still not sure which photos you've referred to when you said that they were worn. The original poster attached the original 2 (from the seller in question) and then a few posts down, an example photo of his buddy's machine heads. Not the same picts from same machine.

The picts I've posted are bigger and new versions of the tiny and dark ones from the beginning post.

To make it even more confusing, I mistakenly thought the one close up photo few posts down was of the same heads. It wasn't, I found out later. Initially I was referring to that as being a lower use machine.

The picts I've posted are bigger versions of the first post picts and what the original poster wanted an opinion on.

The photo 3 posts down (of the original poster's buddy's machine) has a lot less wear than the picts down.

I'm not sure if I should be confused or apologetic or what ? AHHH! My brain's hurting!! :eek: :eek:

I'm not confused.

The original pics of the heads looked worn. The newer/better pics of the original heads look worn, in closer/sharper detail. The interim photo did not confuse me.;)

Back