Tascam MS-16 Sync Alignment Problem-SOS!

RandyRhoads1981

So, I just received my MRL Tape today and I've been
working on the machine for most of the day.
The Repro Head Alignment/Calibration was relatively simple.
But the Sync Head is really making me angry/nervous.

Here's the problem:
I play a 1khz Tone.
Now and then a Meter or 2 will not respond, but
when I rub my finger along the Tape, they spring up.
I know how to fix that.
But Channel 9 does not move no matter what.
It's not a blown Play/Rec Amplifier Card because
it works perfectly in Repro.
I think I saw it spring up twice for a millisecond.
Perhaps it's a problem with the wires connected
to the Sync Head?
I've tried switching it with a different Play/Rec Card
and the Ch. 9 Terminal works but the Channel 9
card(In Ch.13 Terminal) still does the same thing.
It is slightly better when switched though.
Please help!
Please contact via email.
thorrock1981@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Thomas

What happens if you jiggle the sync head umbilical cable that goes from the transport to the amp unit? I know on mine, I had a couple of intermittent connections in that cable which needed to be repaired. Yours might too.

Cheers! :)

Thomas,
Did I understand correctly that if you move the original channel 9 amp card to a different slot it still does not function properly with the sync head ? Another amp card in the channel 9 slot works ok ?
If that's the case it may be the relays on the card. There are different relays used for sync and repro. They sometimess go bad and can be replaced if you are handy with a soldering iron. Regards, Dave

What happens if you jiggle the sync head umbilical cable that goes from the transport to the amp unit? I know on mine, I had a couple of intermittent connections in that cable which needed to be repaired. Yours might too.

Thanks so much for the reply.:)

I feel that the problem may lie in either the
Head Connector Modules or the Transport-Amplifier Sync Head Input, like you mentioned.
What exactly needed to be repaired, and how?
Thanks ghost!
-Thomas

Thomas,
Did I understand correctly that if you move the original channel 9 amp card to a different slot it still does not function properly with the sync head ? Another amp card in the channel 9 slot works ok ?
If that's the case it may be the relays on the card. There are different relays used for sync and repro. They sometimess go bad and can be replaced if you are handy with a soldering iron. Regards, Dave

Thanks for the input:)
So, now Channel 9 is working 80% of the time, but Channel 5
is giving me a big headache.
That one does not get up to 0VU ever.
Also, at some point the Channel 5(Repro and Sync) fell back
-3db, so I had to compensate +3db.
What do you think this is?
A defective Rec/Play card?
It does the same thing in other Terminals.
Channel 5 Terminal is fine.

Where are the Relays on the cards located?
Where can I purchase new ones?

I contacted Tascam and they said to first clean
the connectors and that the Relays might be defective too.
Thanks
-Thomas

Thanks so much for the reply.:)

I feel that the problem may lie in either the
Head Connector Modules or the Transport-Amplifier Sync Head Input, like you mentioned.
What exactly needed to be repaired, and how?
Thanks ghost!
-Thomas

When I had problems with mine, I cleaned the contacts of the cable and the connector that it plugged into on the back of the amp unit with Caig's Deox-it and that did the trick for quite some time...years. And most recently, had a couple of intermittent contacts still that were reconditioned with Caig Pro-Gold in paste form. No actual parts needed to be changed and the plug housing can be opened up to get to the contacts should you need to touch up any cold soldering joints.

Since then, the machine's worked well and sounds great! As a decent analog deck will do.

When I had problems with mine, I cleaned the contacts of the cable and the connector that it plugged into on the back of the amp unit with Caig's Deox-it and that did the trick for quite some time...years. And most recently, had a couple of intermittent contacts still that were reconditioned with Caig Pro-Gold in paste form. No actual parts needed to be changed and the plug housing can be opened up to get to the contacts should you need to touch up any cold soldering joints.

Since then, the machine's worked well and sounds great! As a decent analog deck will do.

Thanks again!:)

Back