Tascam MS-16: Noise Reduction and Balanced Inputs

themaddog

Rockin' & Rollin'
Hello,
My MS-16 has both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA connections. It is also capable of running dbx Type I Noise reduction, of which I have 8 channels, which have ins and outs using RCA connections.

My question is, is it possible to use the balanced XLR inputs and outputs to my mixer, which is designed to run at +4 anyways, and still use the noise reduction? I want to see people's opinions before I purchase any new snakes.

Thanks for all of your help,
-MD

The manual states that you are to only use balanced or unbalanced. But not both at the same time. I'm not sure what the specific reason is for this though.

I do know that they state the deck is essentially an unbalanced design and the balanced connection circuits come after the unbalanced ones in the circuit path. If you have the manual, read the section where it discusses this in greater detail then what I can remember. There might be an internal switching system that turns off the balanced connections once an unbalanced load is connected.

If you were to acquire the prescribed TASCAM dbx unit for the deck, then you'd be free to use either jack as those connect via dedicated multi-pin connectors that are downstream in the circuit path and don't care which connection method you use.

Cheers!

The DBX NR Units are connected via Hirose Multipin connectors, not RCA.
The MS-16 needs to have either the DBX connected or a termination plug.
If not connected, Channels 9-16(in your case) will not have any sound.
The DBX works with either RCA or XLR connectors.
The MS-16's DBX Units don't have RCA jacks on them, just multi-pins.
You may have a different Unit than the MS-16 DX-8ds NR Units.
Am I correct?
I don't think a different Unit will work, because there isn't
a compatible Amplifier to DBX connector for switching between encode and decode.
What is the specific model of your DBX Unit?

Back