Tascam MS 16 Issue

Astralography

I looked at at Tascam MS 16 today that was for sale locally. All the transports seemed to work fine. Everything powers up... but for some reason the record buttons on the remote don't light up the red LED on the meters. Even plugging a mic direct into the back of the UV meter box gives nothing on the UV needles. The meters all seem to work when turning off then on the power quickly.. they all move.. but I can only guess that the cord that connects the remote to the UV's may be bad.. or something in the connection or communication between the remote and UV's is not working.

The price is good on the unit.. but only if it is working.

Also, note you cannot expect to get signal off a mic plugged into the back of the meter module...those XLR jacks are for line-level signal so unless the mic is first going through a mic preamp, you're not likely to see anything on the meter.

Is the machine/channels set to monitor the input?

The Red blinking light (engage for record) do not even turn on... on the meters. They are blinking red on the transport. I think they should be blinking red on the meters also once engaged from the remote.

Do the meters move if you get the deck to monitor input for that channel and send it a signal? Can the guy show it playing back a tape?

Aren't the red lamps on the meters overload LEDs? I don't think you ever really want those blinking. :)

The meters do move slightly when the power is turned on and off quickly. So they are working and sensing voltage changes. I just assume that when you press the record enable on the remote and the red light is blinking.. the red light above the meter should be blinking also so you can see what track you have engaged and set your recording levels accordingly.

I wish I could figure this out... everything else about the machine seems good.

Maybe it's a bad cable connector from the remote to the meters? Unlikely but possible.

From the manual regarding the red LEDs over each meter...

24) RECord LEDs
These LEDs light up to indicate the corresponding
track or tracks are in the record mode.
Different from the REC function LEDs, these
LEDs show only the record mode.

So, unless you've pressed the play and record transport buttons and tape is rolling, these lights will not light up.

You didn't indicate anwhere that you've loaded tape on the machine and had pressed the record and play transport buttons, so I'm going to assume its user error on your part.

Also, when you went to check out the machine, did you ask the seller about any of this? Or was this in a store with no one qualified to answer your questions being present?

Cheers! :)

To further demonstrate my point, please look closely at the picture below of my MS-16 which had all 16 tracks armed on the remote and note how none of the red LED's over the VU meters are lit.

View attachment 81629

This is because I had not engaged an actual recording mode on the transport. Its in stop mode. So those LEDs will not light.

Cheers! :)

make sure the tracks are armed on the track control panel. If they are not, those LEDs will never turn red.

I passed on the unit. I think someone else bought it and will probably end up here with similar questions!

Thanks all for your input and suggestions. I'll be back on my MSR 16.

Back