Tascam MS-16 Help

themaddog

Rockin' & Rollin'
Hey all,
I finally have a little more spare time and want to start recording on a Tascam MS-16 I purchased last January. I am able to get signal to tape and play back tape, and I think I even have the sync thing down, but here's my problem:

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to see what the level of the signal I'm processing is before I hit the tape. For instance, if I had a tone playing at 0 db, I can't tell that that is the volume of it until I actually hit the record button (after the corresponding tracks have been armed, of course). I've tried flipping all the switches in every combination I can think of, but I don't have the manual and Tascam has a backorder on the MS-16 docs.

Could anyone give me a step by step detail on how I ought to be able to see the input level before it is actually hitting the tape? I imagine it would also be the same process on this machine as it is the Tascam 58, if any 58 users could help me.

Thanks a lot,
-MD

You should only need to select input to get the input signals to the meters (and also out the output jacks, look out for a feedback loop)

If when you select input as your source you get nothing (and there really is something there) then you have a problem with your deck.

You could check it channel by channel to verify if any fail or work.

Regards, Ethan

Some man pages for you

Attachments

• input-select_Page_029.jpg
    input-select_Page_029.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 36
  • input-select_Page_030.jpg
    input-select_Page_030.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 36
Thank you very much. I'll try again next time I'm at the studio. These scans should be a huge help.

Thanks a lot,
-MD

Thanks a lot evm,
My problem is the previous owner did a number of modifications to the MS-16. One of these modifications entailed adding a panel of record and sync switches, as well as the output selection, onto the top of a sequencer. This panel was taken from a non-working MS-16. In his modifications, he must have somehow disabled the main panel of switches that are at the bottom of the machine from fully controlling the MS-16. In short, I have to use his modified remote control in order to have full functionality of the machine, which isn't the end of the world.

Thanks again,
-MD

Back