TASCAM MS-16, 1 " question

gerard

Hi all, I'm looking at a TASCAM MS-16, 1 inch tape format but it's without the Dolby(?) N/R units. I had an Otari MX-70 (16 track, 1 " tape) back in the day and it also didn't have any DBX or Dolby, but it sounded fine considering the heads were shot and it needed a alignment/cal big time. Can I expect the same from the Tascam sound wise? I read some folks bypass the N/R units on the Tascam machines due to them being "sound suckers". What say you? Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Hey buddy. Well I am a happy owner of a Ms-16. I can tell you that I am very please with the sound. I do not use the noise reduction and it sounds perfect.

Thanks for the reply! I'm 99.9% sure I'm going for the machine. I have a MSR-16 that the capstan motor went out and while looking for parts for that machine, I found the MS-16. Has your machine given you any problems? It seems like a better build that the MS-16.

When I had my MS-16, mine came with the dbx units and I always used them as I liked the lack of tape hiss and all the other benefits you get from not overdriving the tape such as reducing the audible adjacent channel crosstalk. Mine were well calibrated, so I never experienced any weird sucking or breathing effects as some people report. But, everyone has different tastes and sound priorities so...to each their own.

If you do get this deck without the dbx units, make sure it comes with the jumpers installed on the back of the amp unit. Otherwise, no sound will pass though any of the channels.

Cheers! :)

I have one and bought it in bad condition. I am almost done with the restoration. It is a very good deck. Watch out for the heads, they are now discontinued. it is a very well made deck. Superior to the MSR16 in terms of build and audio quality for sure. If it is calibrated properly the DBX will work fine, no DBX will do well too. Check for the jumpers which are a pair of black connectors that go in the back to bypass the absence on the DBX units. Make sure you test it, test the transport functions and check heads closely.

1 inch 456 Ampex 16 track Master

I have a 16 track master tape that was recorded in the late 1980s on one inch Ampex 456 using a Tascam MS 16. I would like to digitize this information so I can re-master portions of it. Would anyone with one of these machines be interested in the project? If so let me know ...... Thanks, Pop Wagner (popwagner@mac.com) (612-817-5898) PS, I know this tape needs to be "baked" first and I can do that part.

Wow Pop -- I'm in the same boat. I've got two that I recorded in about 1982, that I'd love to hear again.
1) From a band I was in at the time (pretty bad, but still nostalgic)
2) From a visiting guitarist who later became very well-know, and passed in 1997.

Please contact me here or at MichaelLascuola@gmail.com if you're interested!

I have a MS-16 in pristine condition. Where do you guys live ? I am near Virginia Beach, Va. I can record direct into Sonar. I use Lynx Aurora convertors. Are your tapes striped with smpte ?

Tapes would need to be baked at 130 degrees for about 4 hours. Would be good for about 3 or 4 weeks before they deteriorate again, is my experience.

Danny

Back