Tascam MFP01 Cassette Portastudio Question

Sciflyer

Alright, I know that this thing is not the best recording device by any means, but it was the first step I took in the recording plunge. I am ready to upgrade to something else that has more depth and range, but financially speaking, this is not a possibility right now (maybe in a few months).

My problem is that Track 1 no longer plays back. I am not sure if it doesn't record altogether or if it just doesn't play back what was recorded (don't have access to another cassette recorder to test it). So essentially, I now have a 3 track recorder.

I wondered if anyone has experience in cracking these things open and identifying issues / repairing? Is it worthwhile to do so? I don't plan on sending it in for proper repairs, as that would be a waste of money IMO, and being that the device is pretty well toast, I thought I would at least try to salvage it the best I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I thought I knew my Portastudios, but I'd never heard of this one. It appears to be as basic as they come.

There's a guy giving away a better Portastudio on another forum right now. My post was deleted when I suggested he post it here. Apparently the board owner is afraid of competition (as if people can't post on more than one board :rolleyes:). Since that's the case, I'm going to refrain from mentioning his board here. And since I can only post on one board, I'm going to quit posting there as well.

All I can advise is that you give the heads a good clean with isopropanyl and demagnetize the heads if you have a degausser. If there's no joy there and you don't want to get the thing repaired, then you're going to have to go back to the 1950s and record on 3 track. Console yourself with the knowledge that the Beatles started their recording career on 2 track !

Thank you for the advice guys. I will try cleaning/demagnetizing the heads again to see if that helps. Oh and Grimtraveller, I would find some comfort in knowing about the Beatles early recording practices if I had a fraction of their talent!

On the other hand, there were lots of far more 'talented' bands in Liverpool in the years the Beatles were developing, yet not one of them made it with any longevity, even though quite a number of them were signed up in 1963.
The Beatles worked hard and absorbed many influences. At the risk of sounding daft, I think people recording at home, doing this for a hobby and working in other jobs are just as capable as anyone that is a recording artist of writing great songs and recording them. I've heard a few things from members of this site that stand up against stuff that I have loved for decades.
My stance isn't that pros are crap or anything dumb like that, just that talent in writing songs and recording them is not the preserve of the professional, any more than building a cupboard or decorating a house is.

You could probably get a replacement on ebay or similar. Do try the clean & demag 1st though. You can also record onto two tracks, run those into your computer using audacity or somethinge else on the free list by running an RC stereo to minijack stereo into you comp sound cards aux in. Then you can do a third track & fourth - so long as you keep one constant on the cassette studio to act as your metronome. THEN run those 2 new ones up etc etc. This is what I did until I could afford a decent interface device.

Back