Tascam MF-P01 No Playback. It does not recognize cassette

MisterJoe49

Hello,
I have a 4 track Tascam Portastudio that refuses to play a good pre-recorded cassette. It has been boxed away for a while and I decided to put it into action.
But it forgot how to play. I can get audio with a microphone in but not from cassettes. The Power Adapter is fine. The tape moves ok with the transport controls. Thanks for your help.
Joe

What type of "pre-recorded" cassette?

Have you tried to clean and demag the heads, capstan, & pinch roller?

Have you tried using headphones like grimtraveller suggested?

or connect it to some type of amplifier for output?

Hello Vessel2020,
Thank you for asking. I did try to post a reply for grimtraveller but it didn't work. Let me try again.
Yes, I did connect it to my powered mixer and there was no playback. I also tried to record and it recorded ok but I had to play the cassette on my old Sony portable stereo to hear what the Tascam recorded.

No, it does not play thru the headphones when I press Play. I get audio from the headphone jack and from Line out from a microphone but not from a cassette, not even the one it recorded on.
When I say pre-recorded cassette, I mean a proven, store bought cassette full of music which plays everywhere but in the Tascam.

No, I didn't clean it yet because I've had a bunch of tape recorders and they played forever without a cleaning. This Tascam is immaculate. It was stored away in its original packaging and I got curious.

I will clean it but I don't expect miracles. Why does it record and not playback? If it needed a cleaning I would expect the Recording feature to be affected first. I may have to open it up and take a look.

This remains a mystery to me.

Do you have a digital camera,..so you can take a picture of what
the settings are on, ...on your MF-P01?

Sounds really weird that if the MF-P01 is practically new,
and was boxed away with very little use...

I'm thinkin' there's a setting on your Tascam that maybe you've overlooked?

Hello VESSEL2020,
Thank your for responding. I agree, the playback problem really is weird. It won't play what it records. I don't have a digital camera. I'm in the stone ages with some things. I don't have a cell phone either. But I have an iMac that has a built in camera which I haven't used yet. My Tascam MF-P01 settings are pretty straightforward. First I tried setting all controls at mid range. Then I tried various combinations. Do you have one of these toys? If you do, please let me know what else it needs besides press play and turn the Master control CW.

Last edited:
Demagnetizing your Tape Heads

The demagnetizer must be turned on at least 3 feet from any tape or tape machine. The active end of the demagnetizer should be covered with plastic so as not to scratch. If it has a bare metal end, cover it with a layer of tape (electrical tape).

The magnetic field of the demagnetizer drops off rapidly with distance. In order to demagnetize a part you must apply a field that is strong enough to totally magnetize the part. Since the demagnetizer is running on 60 Hz AC, the polarity of the magnetic field is reversing 120 times a second.

If the power were to go off while the demagnetizer was close to something, there would be a very good chance the part would wind up strongly magnetized. In order to DEmagnetize something, the field must be very slowly be reduced in strength to close to zero. We do this by slowly moving the demagnetizer away from what we are trying to demagnetize.

Fast or jerky motions can result in magnetizing not DEmagnetizing. Move like you are in slow motion.

So the steps are:

1.Turn the power off on the tape recorder or duplicator. Demagnetizing with the power on can damage the circuitry.
2.Turn the demagnetizer on well away from tape or tape machines (3' or greater).
3.Move the demagnetizer in so the tip does not make contact the parts of the tape recorder or duplicator you are trying to demagnetize. You want to do the head(s), guides, and (if you have a strong enough demagnetizer) the capstan.
4.Move across the surface of each part and from one part to the next very slowly and smoothly. If you slip and move fast, go back over that part.
5.After you have gone over the surface of every metal part in the tape path, very slowly and smoothly move the demagnetizer away until you are at least 3' away.
6.Turn the demagnetizer off.

Some additional notes:

If you use a low power demagnetizer, you probably do not have to power to be able to demagnetize a capstan. It is not important to move slowly when moving TOWARDS the tape heads, only when near them and when moving AWAY from them.

You need to get the strongest possible magnetic field applied to the metal tape path parts you are trying to demagnetize. This requires that you get the end of the demagnetizer into contact with the parts, since the magnetic field drops off rapidly with distance. This is why we want plastic or tape over the metal end of the demagnetizer, so we do not scratch anything with it.

You do not need to hold the demagnetizer in position for any amount of time. All you need to do is:

1.Get a strong enough alternating magnetic field
2.Reduce that field strength slowly.
Pulling away slowly and smoothly is very important. You want to demagnetize not only the tape head(s), but all metal parts that touch the tape.

The only way you can damage things while demagnetizing would be to do it with the equipment power turned on, to kill the power while the demagnetizer is close to the equipment, or to move fast or jerky.

I would be very cautious cleaning the rubber pinch roller with anything BUT soapy water. Solvents and alcohol can damage the rubber by dissolving it and making it sticky and crack.

Demagetizing tape heads

Thank you for the lesson on demagnetizing. It seems very touchy and complicated. What are your thoughts on those tape cassettes that clean and demagnetize just by pressing Play? I'm waiting for one that I bought on Ebay. It is a Phillips brand.
Today I tried another suggestion from the forum. I connected the headphones to the Line out instead of the headphone jack. Same result.
No playback.

No playback, Records ok

Hello grimtraveller,
Thank you for the new vocabulary word. I never heard of knackered but this little machine is far from knackered. I spoke to a Tascam support guy yesterday and he thinks there may be oxidation somewhere from lack of use.

Yesterday I cleaned the heads with a cassette which supposed to clean and demagnetize. The Tascam guy said those cassette cleaners make good door stops. He's probably right.

Also, I figured out how to open it and everything looked brand new inside. There was not a hint of oxidation. I checked a few capacitors for shorts but I didn't find any.

I asked the Tascam guy about a repair manual and it costs $15.99 plus tax, plus S&H. So now what? Do I buy another MF-P01 for troubleshooting or move on?
I tried to record again and it still records but I have to play the results somewhere else. i don't know where to take this where it's worth the price of repair. Well, at least I'm learning how to use this forum. Thank you for reading and responding.

Hello Vessel,
Since the last time I talked about my Tascam I had put it aside for a while. I set it up again and found that it still Records Ok. I can play the track on another machine Ok. But the Tascam will not play back its own recorded tape. There is no playback out of the headphones or RCA Line out. This time I also found out that I can connect the Line out or the headphone out to my computer and the computer responds to the Mic well..
I used a cassette which supposed to clean and demagnetize the heads, and I also tried to clean the heads with 91% Isopropyl alcohol. But there is no playback. Yes, it is weird.
If anybody has had the same experience, please let me know. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Joe

Last edited:
When it's in playback mode, touch the pins at the back of the head if they are visible, with a small screwdriver held in your fingers with your fingers touching the metal - it should make a loud crackle/hum. If it doesn't there is a broken connection somewhere, possibly at the record/play switch. Does the replay amp make a hiss when it is in play mode? It should

Hello Vessel,
Since the last time I talked about my Tascam I had put it aside for a while. I set it up again and found that it still Records Ok. I can play the track on another machine Ok. But the Tascam will not play back its own recorded tape. There is no playback out of the headphones or RCA Line out. This time I also found out that I can connect the Line out or the headphone out to my computer and the computer responds to the Mic well..
I used a cassette which supposed to clean and demagnetize the heads, and I also tried to clean the heads with 91% Isopropyl alcohol. But there is no playback. Yes, it is weird.
If anybody has had the same experience, please let me know. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Joe

Hello!! I have the exact same problem! Did you find a solution!?

No Playback

Hello,
Sorry that I never resolved that issue. My Tascam MF-P01 is packed away. Someday I hope to take a look at again if I can find out what might be wrong. If anyone has any ideas I'm still curious. Joe.

Back