Tascam MD-801R(mkII) eject problem

jjones1700

Learning, always learning
I've got a MD-801R(mkII) deck that has worked pretty well until recently. I've noticed that it struggles to eject (and sometimes load) a MD. I've popped the top on the deck and given a gentle boost to the guides as it loads/ejects and it works fine. Playback/recording still work perfectly, it's just the loading mechanism. I've searched through Google a bit and haven't really seen anything pop up in terms of this being a common problem out of the Tascam decks.

Could it be a weak motor or something as simple as the lube is breaking down in the moving part areas? Suggestions?

@ jjones...

I've noticed that it struggles to eject (and sometimes load) a MD. I've popped the top on the deck and given a gentle boost to the guides as it loads/ejects and it works fine. Playback/recording still work perfectly, it's just the loading mechanism.

This is a problem with all the Tascam MD decks, especially the 564 digital portastudio.

I haven't come across anything about it, when I googled it too.
I just know, from first hand experience with several MD machines made by Tascam. Don't get me wrong,..I love my TEAC/Tascam products,...I just think they "cut-corners" with the loading mechanism on the MD players/recorders.
There is somethin' you can do, but it's a little sketchy.
You can try to realign the mechanism like I did to 6 different recorders,(which is a big pain in the..)
also, you might want to check to see if any of the screws are loose on the loading mechanism,...I've come across one like that, and it was an easy fix. Just tightened 2 of the really tiny screws.
or....

something as simple as the lube is breaking down in the moving part areas? Suggestions?

try to lube it up with some type of oil tincture. (I've tried, and it worked for one of 'em)

The best advice I can give is...Be really careful loading your MD's.
The mechanism is crap!

This is a problem with all the Tascam MD decks, especially the 564 digital portastudio.

I haven't come across anything about it, when I googled it too.
I just know, from first hand experience with several MD machines made by Tascam. Don't get me wrong,..I love my TEAC/Tascam products,...I just think they "cut-corners" with the loading mechanism on the MD players/recorders.
There is somethin' you can do, but it's a little sketchy.
You can try to realign the mechanism like I did to 6 different recorders,(which is a big pain in the..)
also, you might want to check to see if any of the screws are loose on the loading mechanism,...I've come across one like that, and it was an easy fix. Just tightened 2 of the really tiny screws.
or....

try to lube it up with some type of oil tincture. (I've tried, and it worked for one of 'em)

The best advice I can give is...Be really careful loading your MD's.
The mechanism is crap!

Thanks Vessel! I know the Sony deck transports are garbage, but I thought the Tascam decks would be fairly robust. That sucks that nobody is immune to the MD transport failure, other than maybe Denon.

I talked to a gentleman who used to work for Teac and he said the transports on the 801 aren't as bad as the 301, but still shoddy non-the-less.

Guess for the long run, I better find a Denon. I really like how my 801 is laid out though. I'll give your suggestions a try and see what happens.

Thanks again for the suggestions!;)

Thanks again for the suggestions!;)

No problem,...
I'm not a very techy type person,
but if I could share some experience I've had...so that it may help
someone else,...then I will.

Hope you get your MD deck runnin' properly again!

MD's are my second favorite way to record, next to tape.
Especially MD DATA discs, because you can use 'em over and over again,
without any sound quality loss. An excellent low cost effective way to record to! I.M.O. MD's sound better than regular compact discs.
Don't understand why this format was so short-lived...?
They are especially good for "live" recordings.

I've also liked the MD format for some time. I've got a portable recorder that I used to capture some live stuff with, and then the Sony deck to capture the guitar practice sessions. Never had a problem with the sound.

I've got a DA88 that I need to have worked on and I'd like to see how well it works and sounds. I've got all kinds of formats that I switch between, or at least would like to for comparison.:D

Back