Tascam Mastering Recorder?

RandyRhoads1981

Hey yall,
I'm looking into a Tascam Mastering Recorder to join my
MS-16 Tape Machine and M-520 Mixing Console.
The main choices are the Tascam 32 and the 42B.
I am also interested in the ATR-60 2-Track, 52, BR-20, and the Otari MX-5050, but
the M-520 doesn't have Balanced Line/Tape Inputs which these recorders have.
Would using the Mic Inputs be ok? Would it be noisy? They're both +4db, right?
Or should I get a Line Converter?

Anyways, are the Tascam 32's or the 42B's descent Tape Decks
for Mastering? They seem like a good 2-Track to start out on.
The Tascam 32's are both plentiful as well as inexpensive
and I see so many of them in wonderful condition.
Plus, parts are appearing quite frequently.
Any experience with the 32 and/or the 42B?
Sound quality,versatility, reliability, etc?
Does the 32 operate at 250nWb/m?

It's not really an answer to your question, but I also have a Tascam M-520 and I'm very pleased with my Otari MX-5050. It has an option for -8dB output but still requires a +4dB, balanced input. To make this work, the connection to the deck's inputs are patched through the balance amp section of the M-520 and then into the deck. I've noticed no difference in sound quality, the amp doesn't add any noise. The Otari is also more capable of aligning to +9 over 185 nw/M, which is a definite bonus.

Plus, the Otari MX-5050 is very common in the wild. I swear Otari made a billion of these machines.

For the other questions, yes, the 32 and 42 are perfectly fine as mastering decks. The 40 series decks (42, 44, 48) have better electronics and sound quality from what I've seen, and they're definitely a step up from the 30 series in terms of functionality and features. The Tascam manuals for these decks state a preferred operating level of 0VU @ 250 nW/m, but they'll do 0VU @ 355 nW/m very easily.

It's not really an answer to your question, but I also have a Tascam M-520 and I'm very pleased with my Otari MX-5050. It has an option for -8dB output but still requires a +4dB, balanced input. To make this work, the connection to the deck's inputs are patched through the balance amp section of the M-520 and then into the deck. I've noticed no difference in sound quality, the amp doesn't add any noise. The Otari is also more capable of aligning to +9 over 185 nw/M, which is a definite bonus.

Plus, the Otari MX-5050 is very common in the wild. I swear Otari made a billion of these machines.

For the other questions, yes, the 32 and 42 are perfectly fine as mastering decks. The 40 series decks (42, 44, 48) have better electronics and sound quality from what I've seen, and they're definitely a step up from the 30 series in terms of functionality and features. The Tascam manuals for these decks state a preferred operating level of 0VU @ 250 nW/m, but they'll do 0VU @ 355 nW/m very easily.

Thanks for the info.
So what you're saying is to run via XLR at +4db into the Recorder and then
run XLR at -8db to the unBalanced RCA Line ins at the M-520, right?
Thanks so much.

Thanks for the info.
So what you're saying is to run via XLR at +4db into the Recorder and then
run XLR at -8db to the unBalanced RCA Line ins at the M-520, right?
Thanks so much.

Yup, that's exactly what I did, and it works beautifully :) Ping me for more info if you want to go that route and I'll try my best to remember how I made it all work. It's a simple concept but it gets a little tricky when you solder all the cables up.

I think you'll find the BR20 has unbalanced RCA as well.
My experience with the '32 wasn't so happy personally, but that was probably mostly because I found a cheap and nasty one and tried to restore it.
The BR20 is liable to have infinitely better tape pack, though, owing to microprocessor control and a library wind function. And it doesn't have the horrible "pieces of string" tension arm design in the '32.

FWIW I also have a M-520 and I'm also running an Otari MX5050BII-2 as mixdown deck. The Otari unless it has optional transformers is actually unbalanced, and there is a switch on teh back that will run the output HI (+4dBu ) or LO (-10dBm), I'm running it at +4 at the moment using the balanced amp on the 520, XLR to XLR, then I bring it back on a 2tr return, by way of an Ebtech line level "shifter" transformer, because I already had some XLR-TRS cables, and phone to RCA for the unbalanced side of it. Note hte Otari is pin 3 hot..

As to your other questions, I'm pretty sure 250nW/m was pretty much factory default on the Tascam decks you mention.

The Otari factory cal has three settings and factory are 185/250/320 nW/m.

Note hte Otari is pin 3 hot..

Not always! I think my deck was used only as a playback deck by its previous owner because someone rearranged the pin configuration on the outputs, but didn't do the same on the inputs. Pop the hood on it and check before you make your cables... I didn't and I had a hell of time figuring out what was wrong :)

(Edit) By the way, is your Otari also the "desktop"/"console" style? I wasn't a fan at first but my deck is quite happy sitting on the floor under my mixer. It also makes editing a LOT easier!

Last edited:
Awesome info guys!
I REALLY wanted the Otari MX-5050 as my first choice, but I couldn't figure out
how to use it with my M-520(why did Tascam always use Unbalanced RCA!?).
I was even considering on getting a Mackie 24x8 because it is all switchable Unbal/Bal.
I do wish that the M-520 at least had 1/4" TS jacks.

(Edit) By the way, is your Otari also the "desktop"/"console" style? I wasn't a fan at first but my deck is quite happy sitting on the floor under my mixer. It also makes editing a LOT easier!
I really want the console style with the Meters above the Transport, it looks so cool!
How does it make Editing easier? Wouldn't you have to bend down to cut/splice the Tape?

I really want the console style with the Meters above the Transport, it looks so cool!
How does it make Editing easier? Wouldn't you have to bend down to cut/splice the Tape?

Since the deck is on the floor, I just sit cross legged in front of it :) Works for me!

Not always! I think my deck was used only as a playback deck by its previous owner because someone rearranged the pin configuration on the outputs, but didn't do the same on the inputs. Pop the hood on it and check before you make your cables... I didn't and I had a hell of time figuring out what was wrong :)

Good point about verifying the polarity! Actually, I'm just guessing that as well, I've never verified, but all the balanced equip I have is pin 3 hot by design so I'm guessing it still it. It's the upright? model BIII I guess hte other is MKIII? But it has feet on the back two so I think you can lay it down. My setup looks oddly like Peter McIan's in the inside of Musician's Guide to HOme REcording, and he appears to have a similar Otari on its back. I've not laid it down, but it looks like hte XLR cables will clear with teh angle and hte feet...

The Tascam 32 has always been a good model if you find a good one. I only had experience with new ones until recently. Same with the 42B, BR-20 and Otari MX-5050, MX-55, etc. It comes down to what features you really need and what condition the particular machine is in. Since we're not buying factory new machines anymore (not usually anyway) the latter is probably most important.

I even like what was probably the least expensive half-track mastering deck on the planet... the Tascam 22-2. It only takes 7" reels and doesn't even have a return to zero stop function, but it can sound great. I started leaning towards Tascam and Otari years ago because of readily available replacement parts. Another favorite of mine is the Revox B77, though it’s harder to service. The higher end Tascam models have useful features like spooling mode, memory stop points and ability to play backwards or forwards, but the sound differences can be negligible. Depends on what you want and what you can find in good working condition.

I have a MX5050 BIII-2 for my mastering deck.
Has balanced I/O.

You know you can get a conversion box to solve your balanced/unbalanced concerns. TASCAM has some, or there's the Fostex 5030, and then Aphex also has one.
I have a couple of the Fostex 5030 boxes and also one Aphex 124, which I think is you best choice...they can be had pretty cheap on eBay. It does Bal/Unbal and also XLR/RCA and also +4/-10. :)

124A Two Channel Level Interface « Aphex

Oh...there's also a TASCAM BR-20 on eBay...I think it was listed a couple of days ago....

Back