Tascam M520 Story...

Hi everyone! I've had an M520 for about six months now and I'm totally in love with it. I've been using the direct outs to go into my DAW and straight into my ms16 tape machine. The problem that I've had is that the EQ section doesn't seem to be activated when I'm using the direct outs for each individual channel . Has anyone else had this problem?

I don't have a M520, but according to the block diagram it should be working if the EQ switch is on? Unless there has been a mod done to your one in the past? If you have not got it the block diagram is here.

Cheers
Alan.

As a 520 owner, I can say without any doubt that eq IS present at the direct outs.

Now for it not to work would indicate a few things as stated in the previous post.

Mod to bypass eq ( unlikely)
Broken ( possible)
User input, as in switch off, something plugged in wrong, etc. ( very likely)

Go through this thread. There are some excellent videos sweetbeats uploaded.

Down load and save to your computer for future reference.
They are excellent.

Edit: as a matter of fact you should download everyrhing in the link Alan posted.

Onn my laptop I have a folder titled Studio. For every piece of gear I own, i set up a subfolder with as much info as I can obtain.
comes in handy.

Good luck and welcome to the club.
:D

Ya ditto +1 to the above...the direct outs are (from the factory) post-eq, post-fade. You're sure you're using the "D. OUT" jack and not the "ACCESS SEND" jack, correct? Because the "ACCESS SEND" jack (and the parallel jack that's right below the "ACCESS SEND" and *next* to the "D. OUT" jack) is pre-eq, pre-fade...the "ACCESS SEND" jack taps right after the mic head amp or line driver amp (depending on the position of the input source switch). So if you happen to have your MS16 inputs connected to the jacks that are right next to the D. OUT jacks, you'd have the issue you are experiencing. I only ask this because (*ahem*) I've done this myself. :D:D:D

To the right of the direct out is an umarked jack. That could be confused as being another direct out.

So what you're saying is that's a parallel send jack?
Maybe the poster of the question is using one jack for the computer interface and the other for tape. This would mean one has eq and one doesn't.
Correct?

To tell you the truth, I always thought the jack to the right of the direct out was just another direct out. Never used it cause I had no need.

The access is a jumpered insert point on the channel. So what it seems like is that you actually have 2 sends and one receive on the channel inserts.
This correct?

That is 100% correct.

If you notice, that jack that is to the right of the D. OUT jack has a line going up to the ACCESS SEND jack...that line says "I'm with this guy". So, yes, think of it like you have an insert send and receive jack set, and you also have two direct out jacks, one pre-eq pre-fade, and the other post-eq post-fade.

Well, sounds like we've solved the guy's problem. Now if he'd only come back to the thread. :D

Certainly not intending to be a stranger...I know you know that. :o

Honestly had lost much interest in anything recreational or hobby-esque in the past year. All of my projects have pretty much just stopped. Been steeped in repairs on my fiancée's house so we can sell it...marketing the house, looking for another house (which we finally found the place...got an accepted offer on her place and the sale and purchase of the new place are supposed to close on the same date, and if you've dealt with that before you know what kind of a time-sucker that is...), dealing with interpersonal/legal fallout from my previous marriage, dealing with attacks on my person and property at our place, pretty overwhelmed at work, and planning a wedding. But I look forward to things calming. I think we're at the beginning of it, and I miss being interested in music and recording and equipment. I have kept busy on the fixit side of things catching up on years of needed repairs and maintenance on my fiancée's vehicles, and we're in better shape there these days (some of which involved PC board-level repairs on one of the cars...tracing out an issue using schematics to one of the control modules and finding a bad solder joint)...fortunately my fiancée loves to watch me play drums and has been very dedicated about our new place having space for all the music and recording stuff...like it has been one of the key criteria. Anyway, just been really busy. With all the change and stressors, just for fun I did one of those assessments that tell you where you're at health-risk-wise based on changes (good and bad)...a score of 300-600 indicates extreme risk. I scored 628. Its been quite a ride. Anyway, the fact I checked in here and felt like I wanted to comment on some threads is a good sign. My ex-wife wouldn't agree. My fiancée would just want me to be happy.

Certainly not intending to be a stranger...I know you know that. :o

Honestly had lost much interest in anything recreational or hobby-esque in the past year. All of my projects have pretty much just stopped. Been steeped in repairs on my fiancée's house so we can sell it...marketing the house, looking for another house (which we finally found the place...got an accepted offer on her place and the sale and purchase of the new place are supposed to close on the same date, and if you've dealt with that before you know what kind of a time-sucker that is...), dealing with interpersonal/legal fallout from my previous marriage, dealing with attacks on my person and property at our place, pretty overwhelmed at work, and planning a wedding. But I look forward to things calming. I think we're at the beginning of it, and I miss being interested in music and recording and equipment. I have kept busy on the fixit side of things catching up on years of needed repairs and maintenance on my fiancée's vehicles, and we're in better shape there these days (some of which involved PC board-level repairs on one of the cars...tracing out an issue using schematics to one of the control modules and finding a bad solder joint)...fortunately my fiancée loves to watch me play drums and has been very dedicated about our new place having space for all the music and recording stuff...like it has been one of the key criteria. Anyway, just been really busy. With all the change and stressors, just for fun I did one of those assessments that tell you where you're at health-risk-wise based on changes (good and bad)...a score of 300-600 indicates extreme risk. I scored 628. Its been quite a ride. Anyway, the fact I checked in here and felt like I wanted to comment on some threads is a good sign. My ex-wife wouldn't agree. My fiancée would just want me to be happy.
Wow! You've been a busy beaver to be sure and fully understandable as to why your participation here has waned a bit. We all wish you happiness, success in all your many endeavours and of course good health! ;)

We'll keep a light on for you in the meantime. :D

Cheers! :)

Thanks Ghost. :)

This kind of light?

IMG_2825.JPG

:D:D:D

That is 100% correct.

If you notice, that jack that is to the right of the D. OUT jack has a line going up to the ACCESS SEND jack...that line says "I'm with this guy". So, yes, think of it like you have an insert send and receive jack set, and you also have two direct out jacks, one pre-eq pre-fade, and the other post-eq post-fade.

Pretty neat. Tonight I experimented with the other send jack.

With the jumper in place, I plugged a guitar into channel 1 and used the extra send to power a mono chorus and brought it back on another channel.
Panned L&R I got a glorious "stereo" chorus with the combo of the dry and wet signals.

So rather than the usual method of using the insert for a mono effect, I got a stereo effect without tying up effects sends. All while still being able to insert something in that one channel.

Board is more versatile than I gave it credit.
:D

Works like a charm, I don't know how I missed that. I thought they were just parallel outputs. Now I just have to remember not to move the faders while I'm recording.

Hey guys I just joined the forum after reading this whole thread for the last few months. I have been refurbishing my recently acquired M-520 mixer and have it nearly back to perfect condition. I've already spent about 30 hours cleaning every switch, button and pot on every channel and I'm happy to say it paid off nicely. I also put real leather and stained walnut on the sides! I just need to replace one (maybe two) meter bulbs, find a new switch cap and knob, recap the power supply, and... build an umbilical power cable. I have all the supplies to build the cable including 22AWG 20 conductor cable. I just opened up the power supply and noticed that many of the pins to the cable plug are soldered together:

1 & 2
3 & 4
5 (empty)
6 & 7
8 & 9
10 & 11
12 & 13
14 & 15
19 & 20

My question is, could I just use an 11 conductor cable (if that even exists) and solder those same pins together on both ends of the cable? This would be much easier and tidier than soldering wires to all 20 pins given how small they are.

Welcome aboard.
This is the same way I joined this forum.
Directly because of this thread. :D

On your mixer, it sounds like you've done a bunch of work so far.
If you have all the parts to build a cable, and I'm assuming you have the proper connectors, I'd still solder to the pins rather than do splicing.

With all your work, has this been powered up yet?

Please post pics. For some odd reason, 520 owners like to see them. Who knows, maybe it's a safety in numbers kind of insanity. :D

Anyway, welcome!

Welcome aboard.
This is the same way I joined this forum.
Directly because of this thread. :D

On your mixer, it sounds like you've done a bunch of work so far.
If you have all the parts to build a cable, and I'm assuming you have the proper connectors, I'd still solder to the pins rather than do splicing.

With all your work, has this been powered up yet?

Please post pics. For some odd reason, 520 owners like to see them. Who knows, maybe it's a safety in numbers kind of insanity. :D

Anyway, welcome!

Thanks for the welcome! I have all the proper parts for the cable and I have powered up the board by unmounting the plug from the back of the power supply and putting it right up to the mixer. I soldered one end of the cable a few days ago actually. It was a real pain and I did kind of a shoddy job with it, I want to start over. It would be so much neater and easier to solder those pins together and have one wire for each of those pin pairs. It couldn't hurt, could it?? Do you see any downside?

I only have a couple pics right now, pre leather and walnut sides. I'll have to take some more pictures for you all next time I'm at my rehearsal space.

IMG_2506.JPG
IMG_2512(2).jpg

Maybe someone who has an original umbilical can post a shot of inside the plug. It's really easy to take the hood apart, just two screws. I'd love to know how they originally soldered it on both ends.

Back