Tascam M3700 XLR inputs

7x7

Hi all,

I just got me a Tascam m3700 and I was hoping I could use the XLR inputs to connect some unbalanced equipment using a TRS (or TS) -> XLR cable. Unfortunately when I do this, there is no sound. I reckon it has to do with the TRS / TS configuration? Previously, on my D&R Dayner, I could simply use the xlr's to connect for instance my drummachines and the line input of the same channel to connect my sampler's outputs and switch between them, but on the M3700 I get no sound on the mic input if I do the same.

Can I make it work using other cables configuration? I'm not too familiar with balanced in and outputs and TRS configurations, as I only work with midi equipment, which is mostly unbalanced...Plus, did not yet receive the manual for the M3700.

Thanks for your time!

You do realize that on the back, next to the XLR mic inputs, there are *unbalanced* Line inputs....?

Ha yes I do know that, it's just that I needed to hook up some extra stuff using xlr's. On some of the Dayner channels (and now on the Tascam) I used both the line and mic inputs for different unbalanced signals and switch between them if I need to. Got it working tho, I made the stupid mistake overlooking the pad switch which was activated on all 4 channels I tried...

I made the stupid mistake overlooking the pad switch which was activated on all 4 channels I tried...

I get that a lot when one of my cats walks across the console....I'm always freaking out why something isn't working, :eek: then I realize what happened! :D

The cats sometimes use the console as a step up to a higher perch in my studio (the bigger/older/fatter cat mostly 'cuz he's to lazy to make the bigger jump up) . They jump up on top of a pair of older CRT monitors I have off to the side (but no longer use). They like to hang in the studio with me when I'm working...sleeping comfortably no matter how much noise I'm making.
I've contemplated removing the old CRT monitors as they take up a lot of space (21" monitors)...but it's become their spot in the studio, I even put a thick pad on top for them, and they love it there...so I don't want to take away their perch. :)

Hah, you know my studiomate and I are both cat lovers. He brought one of his down to the studio some time back to see if it dug hanging around there, but it didn't so much care for all the noise :D There's still a litter pan in the basement, though!

Probably just as well we don't have a cat mucking up our settings!

I think pin 3 is hot on that mixer.

I'm not sure, but you may need to keep that in mind when you use the mic input.

Thanks guys, I got it all working. Even completely hum free, supposedly that's quite rare with these desks? I actually think it's very quiet.

As for cats, unlike the Dayner which always had a few buttons pressed by my two cats, the Tascam already proved to be cat friendly as the master section provides a knobless route towards the monitor speaker kitty hang out.

I wouldn't say 3500-3700's are noisey. My 3500 is dead quiet. And all studios should have an attack cat (and a dog to spar with).

Most of the noise problems I have had with the M3700 have been due to external gear creating earth loops, I have had a lot of problems with monitor power amps but all is good now. I find as long as all aux sends and monitor faders are muted when not in use the noise floor is fine, for some reason on my M3700 even with the aux sends and monitor faders off, when you hit the mute the noise floor still reduces more.

I think that Tascam improved the earthing as production went on, the M3700 had improved internal earthing over the M3500 and maybe the later M3500 received the same mods. However I have no proof of this.

Cheers
Alan

Howdy Cap'n Witzendoz.
Any chance u got a copy of PSM3700 schemo/pinout.Im trying to find the rail output specs (amperage wise) of both rails and wondering if both rails have individual trimmers or are they fixed ?
Am toying with the idea of using this supply rewired to pump juice into a soundcraft spirit in place of its woefully underpowered cps 150 psu.
That thing has 1.5 amp rails so im hoping the 3700 matches or exceeds that...

D'oh, never mind... Got it working...
What you are doing will certainly work but sending a line level device through any mic input doesn't buy you anything in the way of keeping the signal clean. You are much better off using the line inputs.

Howdy Cap'n Witzendoz.
Any chance u got a copy of PSM3700 schemo/pinout.Im trying to find the rail output specs (amperage wise) of both rails and wondering if both rails have individual trimmers or are they fixed ?
Am toying with the idea of using this supply rewired to pump juice into a soundcraft spirit in place of its woefully underpowered cps 150 psu.
That thing has 1.5 amp rails so im hoping the 3700 matches or exceeds that...
You won’t find any relevant or helpful output current specs in the M-3700 service manual for the PS-3700 power supply. But I did some load testing once on its nominally less robust PS-3500 cousin. It’s not bad. I don’t remember what the voltage was at the main transformer taps that power the +/-15V rails when it was unloaded, but I started my load tests with a 90R load and the voltage across the taps was 38.3VAC. That’s 0.43A. That’s where I started. I progressed to a 9.6R load, and the voltage only dropped to 36.75VAC. The line voltage at the time of the test was 119.4VAC. That’s 3.83A, so I think the PS-3500 is conservatively good for at least 2A per side on the +/-15V rails, and that seems about right because my experience is Tascam PSUs like this seem to be built to handle about double the theoretical maximum current of all the active devices...with some margin beyond that. I stopped at 9.6R load because that’s as far as I needed to go…that informed me it was plenty burly for what I needed. Anyway, that theoretical maximum in the M-3500 is just over 2A total for all the active devices powered by the +/-15V rails, and my load testing suggests the transformer could go at least 2x that, depending on main line voltage conditions. And the rest of the components in the supply, IIRC, were good for that. The PS-3700 supply would be good for something marginally greater than that because of the additional circuitry onboard the console which would increase the supply demand. The PS-3500 and PS-3700 do not share the same transformer…the PS-3500 weighs about 30lbs, the PS-3700 weighs about 44lbs…most of that differential is probably in the main transformer.

Regarding adjustable voltage, I don’t have the service manual for the M-3700, just the M-3500, but the output voltage can be adjusted, but not all simple like adjusting a potentiometer. The +/-15V supplies utilize a single Mitsubishi M5230L dual-tracking regulator…it will regulate between +/-3V to +/-30V. Now, of course, you can’t take it up to +/-30V in the PS-3500 because you’re limited by the voltage at the main transformer taps under load, which I included above…you’ve got to take the voltage at the output of the transformer under load and then include a margin for low line voltage conditions, voltage drop across the bridge rectifier and main filter caps and then consider the minimum Vin - Vout specs of the M5230L itself. But that tells you under load what the transformer can do with the regulated supply it powers. In the PS-3500 I think I figured the main transformer was *conservatively* good for at least 1.5A per side (3A total) at +/-16V. You adjust the voltage by changing the value of specific components hanging off the adjust pins of the M5230L. You can read the gory details in the datasheet here: http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets/270/220427_DS.pdf

Again, the PS-3700 I believe can go beyond what I determined the PS-3500 is good for, but I don’t have any details.

You want to run it at +/-17V. You quoted 1.5A for the CPS 150. It looks to me like it’s actually 1.25A per side? But here’s the rub…you can tell something about a linear supply generally by how burly the main transformer is…how much the thing weighs. Again, PS-3700 = 44lbs…CPS 150? About 9lbs. I’m thinking that’s why the CPS 150 does not have a lot of fans. I bet the main transformer is saturated at 1.25A per side where the PS-3500 I tested was pushing 2A per side and still going. The voltage drop was not suggesting at all the main transformer was crapping out. And the PS-3700 is beefier.

Short answer: I’m reasonably certain PS-3700 would grind CPS 150’s bones to make its bread, and then make CPS 150 eat its own bone-bread…while powering the M-3700…with one hand tied behind its back.

Then there’s the power supplies for my Studer console. They are loaded with modular Lambda switching power supplies. The +/-15V supply is rated at 10A…*per side*…and…my console uses three of them. So I’ve got 60A total on tap across the +/-15V supplies. Now we’re talking.

But Teac did a reasonably good job in this era with over-engineering their outboard linear console supplies. Seriously I don’t think the PS-3700 would have ANY trouble getting the job done.

Which console are you powering with the CPS 150?

Last edited:
Back