Tascam M-520 or Soundcraft 400B for best sound?

Cliff K

Hi,
which one do you think has better sound, eq, mic pres, is quieter? I've been looking for a Tascam M-520, and saw a Soundcraft 400B for sale for about the same price range ($500). I think the Soundcraft is 16 inputs whereas the Tascam has 20 inputs. I'm just wondering if the Soundcraft 400B is a better sounding board than the Tascam M-520. I'm outgrowing my Tascam M-308B and need more channels. One of the best thing about my M-308B are all the inserts and patchpoints: it's a versatile board :)

Thanks,
Cliff

I use my 520,because it's very versatile (patchmaster) Enough clean quiet gain to use my sm7 for vox.The parametric sweep eq's compare and or better than alot of whats out there (w/an eq on-off switch) I use my last four channels for two stereo effects,or you could use for four mono w/eq.I think the 520 is a very cost effective board.But I got lucky and found mine in mint condition,very clean,very quiet.If you could get your hands on a 520 manual it could help you decide.I never used a Soundcraft,but heard alot about the renowned eq's.I'm happy with my 520 very versatile.Hope this helps,good luck. ;)

Cliff K said:
Hi,
which one do you think has better sound, eq, mic pres, is quieter? I've been looking for a Tascam M-520, and saw a Soundcraft 400B for sale for about the same price range ($500). I think the Soundcraft is 16 inputs whereas the Tascam has 20 inputs. I'm just wondering if the Soundcraft 400B is a better sounding board than the Tascam M-520. I'm outgrowing my Tascam M-308B and need more channels. One of the best thing about my M-308B are all the inserts and patchpoints: it's a versatile board :)

Thanks,
Cliff

Soundcraft all the way. EQ, pre-amps and summing bus is better by a large margin. Balanced ins/outs, +4................

Great board for that price.

I'm not sure about the Soundcraft?

Our band did a demo recording in a professional studio that used that board and while it did sound decent, I wouldn't give it a clear edge above the TASCAMs of which I own a couple of M312Bs and find them to sound very musical and quiet and of course, very flexible for connecting to unbalanced as well as balanced external gear.

Cheers! :)

Thank you--I appreciate your advice. Just to complicate it a bit more, I've now found a 16 channel TAC Scorpion board that fits my budget.......so, any thoughts on the Scorpion vs. the Tascam and/or the Soundcraft? I'm going to try to check them out this week if I can make the travel time, but any additonal thoughts on this matter will be mighty helpful.

Peace!

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with getting a TASCAM board. I recommend it highly.

~Daniel

Back