Tascam LA3500 balancing kit for M3500 & M3700.

Enchilada

Strange person.
Hey guys,

I have in my possession a Tascam LA-3500 balancing kit. These are highly sought after and anyone who has a Tascam M-3500 or an M-3700 console likely know what these are and how hard they are to find.

I have:
One full kit which includes 2 x bal in PCBs and 2 x bal out PCBs in the original box.
Another original LA-3500 box which contains 4 x bal out PCBs. So in total I have 2 x bal in and 6 x bal out.
The original LA-3500 manual and a copy.

I could be interested in selling for the right offer but I'm a big fan of trade deals so PM me with your offers. One thing to note is that I'm in Australia so postage won't be a big deal for these PCBs but keep in mind that whatever your offering to trade could cost a bit to post.

Attachments

• IMAG0297.jpg
    IMAG0297.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
  • IMAG0296.jpg
    IMAG0296.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 90
Given the rarity of these I think they're worth a fair amount. I was recently offered a reel-to-reel tape machine as a trade on this forum although the guy who made the offer had an accident and his studio is on standby until future notice.

For the complete kit with the original manual I would like a nice low-mid range preamp, compressor or microphone. Basically if you have a piece/some pieces of gear that don't get much use these days and you were thinking of offloading but just hadn't bothered, PM me. It could be an old Lexicon reverb, an ISA One or an ART MPA/VLA and a pair of CAD M179s. I'm interested in just about everything.

Hope this helps,

Kris

Here's the thing...the balanced output PCBs...you only need/can use one on a 3500/3700, as there are only 8 output channels, and the design can only accommodate one.
So...having 5 additional output PCBs doesn't improve things (other than having spares).

On the input side...the 3500/3700 design allows for two 8-channel PCBs.

In the photo...which is the Input and which is the Output (I'm just trying to check something on my own 3500).

I may be interested, but like I said, on a 3500/3700 mixer (to the best of my knowledge) you can only use 2x8 for input and 1x8 for output, the rest of the boards don't add a lot of extra value to the deal...you can't use them to expand AFA I know.
That said, I think you're trade offer isn't out of the ballpark, it just might be easier to simply pay via PayPal, rather than get into all the shipping of larger items, like preamps and whatnot from USA to AU. :)

Let's talk......

Hi there,

I wasn't looking to trade/sell them as a bulk lot, just letting people know what I have. To part with the output PCBs alone wouldn't require as substantial a trade as the the complete kit would. I would like to original kit in its original condition though so that means I would have an additional 4 to trade. I just checked the manual and the kit did originally come with 4 PCBs (2 in and 2 out). The larger PCBs are for outputs and the smaller are for inputs. Here's what the manual has to say about the LA-3500:

Tascam LA-3500 Manual said:
The LA-3500 includes 4 circuit board/D-sub connector assemblies and accommodates the M-3500 console to +4dBm balanced 8 dual group outputs with 16 tape returns; two D-sub connectors will each feed the same mixes from the 8 group busses, and the other two will each receive 8 different tape returns.

Yeah...it's 8 outputs x 2...but it's really only 8 channels of audio, since both groups of 8 have the same audio signals....so in effect, you only get 8 output channels. I think the second group is only of value if say, you needed to split the outputs to two different places.

Anyway...so then you are wanting to keep the complete kit as one trade, and the rest of the PCBs as another trade?

Yeah, that's cool.
To tell the truth, in my case, the only thing I would really like is the input PCBs, because I don't ever record "through" the 3500 mixer, I don't much care about the 3500 outputs. I use only outboard preamps, and their outputs are already balanced and go direct to my recorders.
However, when I mix, I do go in through the board, so while my recorders can do either bal or unbal outputs to the mixer...it would be nice if the mixer had the balanced inputs and then I could run the recorders balanced out.

That said...I would not expect you to bust up the complete kit...so like I said, let's talk.
What do you want just for the complete kit (I don't want/need any of the extra output PCBs)?

For me it would be a lot easier to just do a PayPal transaction than to have to box up an outboard racked piece of gear and ship to AU, but it's not completely out of the question.
I would just like to know what you have in mind AFA value for the complete kit, and then I can consider if I have any gear that fits the value and that I would be willing to trade....but again, PayPal is always doable. :)

You can use up to 32ch of the input/ tape return pcbs,(obviously a M3532).The D25 cutouts are already on the back panel.All that needs to be done is extend the power cables that daisy chain between the pcb assys,and you will have to mount a couple of the boards upside down for clean routing of the power cabling.

Yeah...I kinda' thought that would be possible too, if you had more than two Input PCBs....but TASCAM only gives two (16-channels worth of) balanced Input PCBs with their kit (not sure if they ever had a 24 or 32 version balancing kit...???).
I guess they figured most everyone would only be using a 16 track deck back to the Tape Inputs...??? :D

That said...I'm currently sending 24 channels from my 2" deck...and using it in the unbalanced configuration....and it works fine. You really don't need the balancing kit...though if you are going to run very long cables, then it's a nice-to-have. Right now my tape decks are like...10' from the mixer...but I figure the balancing kit might be of use at some point if I ever want to move the tape decks further away.

Hey guys,

I have in my possession a Tascam LA-3500 balancing kit. These are highly sought after and anyone who has a Tascam M-3500 or an M-3700 console likely know what these are and how hard they are to find.

I have:
One full kit which includes 2 x bal in PCBs and 2 x bal out PCBs in the original box.
Another original LA-3500 box which contains 4 x bal out PCBs. So in total I have 2 x bal in and 6 x bal out.
The original LA-3500 manual and a copy.

I could be interested in selling for the right offer but I'm a big fan of trade deals so PM me with your offers. One thing to note is that I'm in Australia so postage won't be a big deal for these PCBs but keep in mind that whatever your offering to trade could cost a bit to post.
Hello. Do you still have these for sale?

Cheers.

Back