Tascam internal A/D

garf

I have a Tascam CDRW 2000. I am wondering how good its internal A/D converter is, and am wondering if it might be worthwhile getting the 5000, as all these units are fairly inexpensive used. Any opinions?

I know that TASCAM and SONY share a number of identical, internal components when it comes to their respective lines of professional digital recording technologies so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that if you opened up the bonnet on the TASCAM CD recorder, you would find a number of chip sets that are the same as in the SONY units.

When you get into the world of AD/DA converter chip sets, there's a small number of developer companies such as SONY, Matsushita and Motorola. Of those 3 biggies, Motorola seem to curry more favorable reviews from the audiophile world in terms of smoothness and sound staging but once you get to the top end machines of all three, the differences in sound quality tend to get pretty minor and less definable in any scientific way.

If you can score a machine that went for hundreds or thousands of dollars more for the same price range in the used market, I'd tend to go for an older high end model and pay a few extra bucks for it.

All this being my personal opinion only.

Cheers! :)

Fascinating, thanks for the reply on this. I am always amazed at what you can learn on this bb...

Back