Tascam DP24 Master Fader

C4th

Hi
Sorry for this dumb question, but i cant seem to find a definitive answer.
I was wondering. Where do most of you Tascam DP24 owners leave the stereo master fader when recording?
At the moment iv been leaving it just under 10 and that allows me to turn my pres up and get a decent signal without clipping (Guitar and Vocals), Once finished, when
im at the mixing stage, i then turn it up to make the track louder. Is this common practice or have i got this wrong?
Iv always heard i should leave it on 0, but if i do, i barely get a signal on my meters and then i clip the stereo fader meters.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
P.S
Sorry for the poor terminology.

I leave my master fader at 0 and record my tracks at around -12db tops. (The low end of the "green") That allows you to do the mix adjustments you need and leaves you with plenty of room to make all the mastering adjustments you may want to make.............including raising the volume by using compression or other methods.

I leave my master fader at 0 and record my tracks at around -12db tops. (The low end of the "green") That allows you to do the mix adjustments you need and leaves you with plenty of room to make all the mastering adjustments you may want to make.............including raising the volume by using compression or other methods.

same here. I try to keep the track gain low to give me headroom if I need it later.

Yep ... what they said. Master at unity. Actually, the master fader (and all the other faders) has NO effect on recording, only playback, but you knew that, right? I try to track at -12db to -6db for the reasons stated above.

Back