Tascam DP01FX (or a DP01): any hard drive noise?

GeorgeG3

Hi All,

I am planning on buying a DP01FX in the next week or so, but before I do, I need to find out if the onboard hard drive makes any noise at all during recording?

Can anyone who owns a Tascam DP01FX (or a DP01) tell me if the onboard hard drive inside the DP01FX or DP01 makes any noise at all during recording? I will be recording very, very quiet and subtle classical guitar by myself, and I don't want to pick up any mechanical noise at all during recording from the DP01FX.

I know that the Fostex MR8 records onto compact flash media, so there are no moving parts, which make it totally silent during recording.

For anyone who owns a Tascam DP01FX (or a DP01): How quiet is the Tascam DP01FX during recording? Is there ANY noise at all, or is it completely, utterly silent during recording?

I will need to position the Tascam DP01FX within my reach during recording sessions, so I can conveniently operate the controls myself. I am very concerned about any extra noise that the unit may make, before I take the plunge and buy it.

Please let me know if there is there ANY noise at all coming from the DP01FX or DP01, or if it is completely, utterly silent during recording?

Thanks in advance for any advice or info you can give me.

For something so cheap, the unit it amazingly quiet, but not as quiet as you demand simply down to the fact of your proximity to the unit when in use.

Also the unit only has one footswitch input which can only be programmed to punch in and out of record, but only when the unit is playing. So it does not have the facility to completely operate (start/stop/record) the unit remotely so that you could record your performance away from the unit where it would be completely silent.

You could however hit play, move away from the unit, and then punch in as required once setup.

There's a review in Sound On Sound and the guy also claims that the unit very quiet too, so much so that recording at close range would be no problem at all, but i beg to differ!

Maybe another DP01 user could comment?

I also agree that this unit is very quiet compared to others in the price range, I would say that the little noise it does make shouldn't really have a huge impact on the recording at a close proximity and I use it with my acoustic/vocals if that helps, but it does make a little noise its not completely silent

Thank you very much for the replies, guys.

By the way, I will be using very sensitive condenser mics with a relatively quiet classical guitar, so hopefully it will be quiet. If the mics pick up noise at all from the DP01FX whille I am recording, it will defeat my purpose, so I'm really hoping it will be silent!

Thanks again, guys, and anyone else with direct knowledge or experience, please feel free to chime in!

Back