Tascam DP-24 SD

wuzzo

668- the neighbour of the beast
Hello
I'm looking at buying one of these- but it appears to have only one input suitable for guitar. Will it record guitar and bass simultaneously ? That is, can I use the other inputs for bass ?

Thanks

Spantini is right- there are a number of DI boxes available.

The DP-24 will record multiple guitars/bass simultaneously with the help of DI boxes (or just plugging straight in). As you know, plugging straight in doesn't always sound amazing.

Additionally, you can use some of the units such as the Vox ToneLabs, Line6 and even the old famous guitar modeling pedal by Digitech. Also, the guitar and pedal companies are making DI boxes that emulate the older large amps (Marshall, Fender, etc). These all have 'cabinet modeling,' which is basically a DI unit. Lately, I've been using an AMP Studio V3 Tube MP, which is really neat. It has a number of simulators with a 12AX7 tube onboard and even compression. Behringer makes a very nice sounding bass DI. At this point in time, don't most bass players carry a small DI around with them? They always seem to be needing one.

The DP-24SD is a great machine. It's a lot like the older Tascam multitrack cassette recorders. The interface involves a learning curve, but it's a true hardware recorder, vs the DAWs. But if you're good at getting good mic levels and know how to EQ, the DP-24/32SD machines are one of the best options for tracking.

I generally bypass the direct-in on my recorders. Instead, I use my PodXT to dial in the sound and record using line level. I mostly use it for bass guitar. It works better for me than trying to mic an amp, plus I think sounded better than straight into the input. I have avoided using amp sims in my DAW or Zoom R24.

Based upon the info. on DI boxes in the link above;
I bought this to supplement the Tascam ;
SubZero Dual Passive DI Box
which will give me the ability to record guitar and bass simultaneously through the DI and leaves the Tascam HZ input free for a second guitar.

Will our electronic drum kit require an active dual channel DI for its twin outputs or can they go straight into the Tascam ?

The DP-24/32(SD) recorders are great.

I cannot emphasize this strongly enough: **First thing out of the box... 1) be sure to use ONLY SD cards from the approved list from Tascam, and 2) immediately upgrade to the latest firmware.

You will find this first link enormously helpful. The block diagram is your friend. And the second link is a page that is loaded with DP-24/32(SD) user content, tips, and tricks. And you'll find Phil, me, and a couple other long time DP users over at the Tascam forum should you get in a pinch.

You'll see at the youtube video series page - Phil sells a great dedicated step-by-step user guide that is available in pdf format.

I haven't upgraded my firmware. I'll do that as soon as I can. Good advice.
The DP-24/32(SD) recorders are great.

I cannot emphasize this strongly enough: **First thing out of the box... 1) be sure to use ONLY SD cards from the approved list from Tascam, and 2) immediately upgrade to the latest firmware.

You will find this first link enormously helpful. The block diagram is your friend. And the second link is a page that is loaded with DP-24/32(SD) user content, tips, and tricks. And you'll find Phil, me, and a couple other long time DP users over at the Tascam forum should you get in a pinch.

You'll see at the youtube video series page - Phil sells a great dedicated step-by-step user guide that is available in pdf format.

Sorry about his question, as it has been asked in different forms and I'm still confused about the answer. If I buy a "San Disk Extreme Pro SD" or a "San Disk Extreme DS UHS-ICard" both with 32G, would one of those work on the soon to be mine DP24SD? If not can someone please write out for me what will? I'm having a hard deciphering the charts.
Thanks,
Marco62

I don't know how finicky the Tascams are for SD cards, but I've had no issues with any of my Zooms using the Sandisk Ultra Plus cards. You can probably grab one locally for $10 or so.

Once you find a card that works well, I suggest getting several from someplace like Amazon. I found that I could get 5 cards for about twice the price of a single card locally. Then you've got spares and backups for the time when you need one. It's not like they go bad.

Once you find a card that works well, I suggest getting several from someplace like Amazon. I found that I could get 5 cards for about twice the price of a single card locally. Then you've got spares and backups for the time when you need one. It's not like they go bad.
It's true that the DP series can be finnicky about SD cards. Some are problematic. Which is why there is an "approved" list. Like suggested above - once you find one that works - buy several. Since you can move data back and forth from the cards.... they'll last pretty much forever.

If you're new to the DP-24SD - I highly recommend you look at the following two links. The available information can take you from head scratching to mastery. There is also a lot of information about approved SD cards there.

Last edited:
I want to mention while we're on the subject - that you do need to be careful about buying SD cards online. There are plenty of fakes/counterfeit out there. Be careful.

@PorterHouse Music: Thank you so much for the links! I started watching the YouTube link and then decided I'm going to wait until next week when I actually have the DP-24sd in front of me so I can follow it step by step. I have to be honest. I'm a little worried about what I've done. I'm not a technical or an extremely detailed guy, and just watching the first 2 videos made me break out in a sweat. I'm hoping that the operation is similar to the DP01-FX/CD I've been using for so long. I know it won't be the same, but hopefully there will be a couple of things that will make me think I have a shot at being successful. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

I would say Don't Fret It!

I hear people say they don't know how to this or that all the time. I had a coworker who was totally stressed about not being able to do things in Excel like I could. A year later, she was building spreadsheets that were far beyond what I was building. You can learn, and when you hit a bit of a wall, just put in Google "How do I ...... DP24SD. I'll bet several videos will pop up. I still do that with Reaper, and I've been using it for 7 or 8 years.

Start simple, plug in a microphone, put in an SD card, learn how to arm a channel to record, and hit the record button. It's not like it's going to cost you a dime. Do it, erase it, do it again. Listen to it and try to add a second track. Do it again. If you don't like it, erase it and start over. We learn by doing. You can't read a book and suddenly know everything there is to know.

It's not any more difficult that sitting down at a 64 channel mixing board, with a dozen knobs per channel, a patch bay with outboard compressors and EQs, and a 24 track tape deck. Everyone who recorded analog years ago did that, right? It was all so simple then... not! :unsure:

There's truth in the phrase "practice makes perfect".

@PorterHouse Music: Thank you so much for the links! I started watching the YouTube link and then decided I'm going to wait until next week when I actually have the DP-24sd in front of me so I can follow it step by step. I have to be honest. I'm a little worried about what I've done. I'm not a technical or an extremely detailed guy, and just watching the first 2 videos made me break out in a sweat. I'm hoping that the operation is similar to the DP01-FX/CD I've been using for so long. I know it won't be the same, but hopefully there will be a couple of things that will make me think I have a shot at being successful. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
Hey Marco62.....I have a Tascam DP-24. I used it for a number of years until I went to a DAW. The one thing I can tell you is....the manual is written in a confusing way with confusing teminolgy......and I had plenty of previous recording knowledge. So...as Talismanrich mentioned...Google your questions.

Now...having said that....once you begin to understand the controls and flow....the unit does make a lot of sense....the light dawns....and it's easy to work with. I'm guessing you'll really like it and will be hooked in no time. Best of luck to you!

Mick

What Rich and Mickster said. You got this!

Stay with it dude. There is a very doable learning curve. This machine is actually quite intuitive. The key here - is to have the machine in front of you AND **the block diagram. It is extremely helpful to understand signal flow. Like water through a pipe. Go through the Tipping videos (he explains things from the standpoint of signal flow of the block diagram) carefully and you will MASTER this machine in no time.

Feel free to ask questions here or at the Tascam forum.

I LOVE this portastudio. They are excellent machines. Powerful bang for the buck.

I would say Don't Fret It!

I hear people say they don't know how to this or that all the time. I had a coworker who was totally stressed about not being able to do things in Excel like I could. A year later, she was building spreadsheets that were far beyond what I was building. You can learn, and when you hit a bit of a wall, just put in Google "How do I ...... DP24SD. I'll bet several videos will pop up. I still do that with Reaper, and I've been using it for 7 or 8 years.

Start simple, plug in a microphone, put in an SD card, learn how to arm a channel to record, and hit the record button. It's not like it's going to cost you a dime. Do it, erase it, do it again. Listen to it and try to add a second track. Do it again. If you don't like it, erase it and start over. We learn by doing. You can't read a book and suddenly know everything there is to know.

It's not any more difficult that sitting down at a 64 channel mixing board, with a dozen knobs per channel, a patch bay with outboard compressors and EQs, and a 24 track tape deck. Everyone who recorded analog years ago did that, right? It was all so simple then... not! :unsure:

There's truth in the phrase "practice makes perfect".
I'm hoping this is as easy as you're saying it is:) It's supposed to be showing up tomorrow soI will know more then. Thank you!

Back