Tascam DP-24, new 24-track digital Portastudio

KenHR

Product: DP-24 | TASCAM

Looks sleek. I'm note getting rid of my 2488neo for it, but I like that it has color at last. No real knobs for pan and the like, but the digital controls aren't so bad.

Wonder if it has .wav output and all.

Not familiar with the product, but it seems the rotary Pan knob should be assignable to one channel at a time.

The DP-24 also uses SD memory cards instead of the 2488's built-in IDE hard drive. Definite improvement in case you ever need to move the machine ever.

They took away spdif in/out... Sort of a drag even with USB and the other nice changes. Could have used it. Oh well.

In the "Names and Functions" picture it says Monitor Out is Balanced and has TRS three conductor 1/4" plugs. Yet in the Specifications page in the back it says Monitor Out uses two conductor TS plug, so not balanced. Uh-Oh, which is it?

The levels are quite a bit hotter at Monitor Out as it is driven off the headphone amp, which is more powerful than the -10 line section. My amp rack is 75 feet away from my mastering desk. Will talk to Tascam and ask if it can run 50'-75' three conductor without humming. I hope Monitor Out is more than just a loud quasi-rca plug.

Monitor out better be balanced or it is a deal breaker.

Last edited:
DP-24 Monitor Out Is Impedance Balanced

Tascam replied: the monitor output is Impedance Balanced. In this scheme it will reject noise and work fine for a 75 foot run using three conductor TRS to XLR connection, etc.

On the other hand if the user has rca single-ended plugs on the other end the monitor outs can also use a TS 1/4 inch plug and work as two conductor TS to rca.

Simple but it gets the job done.

Back