Tascam DP-01FX vs. new Fostex MR8HD

GeorgeG3

Hi Guys,

How do you think the Tascam DP-01FX will stack up against the new Fostex MR8HD (which apparently is hitting the streets at the end of June)?

The Fostex MR8HD will apparently do 4-track simultaneous recording, and appears to have a backlit display, among other things - street price looks to be 399.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--FOSMR8HD

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-FOS-MR8HD.html

Here are the specs:
The new MR-8HD offers recording to 40GB an internal 3.5 in. hard drive. It offers more than 15 hours of 8-track recording with CD quality (16 bit/44.1kHz). Up to 4 tracks can be recorded simultaneously. A new push-dial button makes for easier menu operation.

Features
Recording to 40GB internal 3.5 in. HD offering more than 15 hours of 8-track recording with CD quality (16 bit/44.1kHz).

4-track simultaneous recording

Simple and intuitive operational environment inherited from MR-8 with the new push-dial button for easier menu operation.

Full-track (8-track) bouncing to a New Song (track7/8)

128 x 64 dot LCD

USB port for stereo WAV file transfer between MR-8HD and PC allowing full access to the whole HD from PC

WAV Manager software available for multiple mono files transfer between MR-8HD and PC

S/PDIF digital out for digital mastering

Built-in digital effects including reverb, delay as well as guitar amp and microphone simulations

Dedicated analog guitar distortion knob

Twin headphones outs

USB Host function for external CD burning

Please let me know if you think I should buy the Tascam DP-01FX now, or wait for the Fostex MR8HD. Thanks!

Hi george the 4 track simitaneus recording is a plus which the DP-01FX has only two sims- recording.

The plus with the DP-01FX is that there are two XLR phantom power inputs which works great as I have a decent conenser mic.

Does the MRHD have phantom powered XLR's?
I am just getting to grips with mine and I am impressed with the clean sound.

Dave

Back