TASCAM DP-01FX - Getting Started

Blackwiz

Okay, so, until I get everything I really want, I have one of these. Now, I plan on going to school in August for Recording Arts, and before that, I plan on buying an At home course from online. For the time being, how would I go about getting started on one of these. I plan on messing around with this and getting a feel of how the whole recording scene goes.

For now, I want to have a vocal part with me singing, a piano part, and a simple drum beat. Now, I have the piano part down and a simple drum beat down too(using the Alesis SR-16). And i planned on laying the vocal part next.

Now, I was thinking, is this the best way to do all of this? Scratch everything I've done, how would I go about doing all of this? Also, take into the consideration that I want to attempt to mess around with the effects like Reverb and whatnot.

What do I do first? After laying down the vocal track, then do I mess around with the effects? What is the process/steps for making a recording using just these 3 parts(drums, vocal, piano)??

Blackwiz,

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

People work in lots of different ways when recording. I feel more comfortable recording the rhythm parts first. Then adding melodies/leads and embellishments, then do the vocals last.

People will tell you not to record effects. Add them later. I'll just say I do track with some compression and/or EQ sometimes. It's the delay type effects(reverb, echo, delay, chorus, etc.) you don't want to record to the tracks. Wait and add those when you see how your mix sounds.

So, you get the drum tracks down, record the piano to the drums, then add the vocals. Now as you're listening back to the mix, you decide how much delay(or whatever) to add to the vocal track, whether or not to add chorus to the piano part or maybe, if I add some reverb to the drum tracks, it'll make 'em sound big and full.

The best advice is just do it! Experiment! Have Fun!

Hope this helps!

trig

trigger said:
Blackwiz,

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

People work in lots of different ways when recording. I feel more comfortable recording the rhythm parts first. Then adding melodies/leads and embellishments, then do the vocals last.

People will tell you not to record effects. Add them later. I'll just say I do track with some compression and/or EQ sometimes. It's the delay type effects(reverb, echo, delay, chorus, etc.) you don't want to record to the tracks. Wait and add those when you see how your mix sounds.

So, you get the drum tracks down, record the piano to the drums, then add the vocals. Now as you're listening back to the mix, you decide how much delay(or whatever) to add to the vocal track, whether or not to add chorus to the piano part or maybe, if I add some reverb to the drum tracks, it'll make 'em sound big and full.

The best advice is just do it! Experiment! Have Fun!

Hope this helps!

trig

Thanks. A question, because It has been told me to that you should try to leave EQ alone as much as possible. When should I mess with that? Also, if I have it turned one way or another way(using the DP-01) while recording, will it record that way or is that just for after the track has been recorded?

Off the top of my head, I don't think the EQ has any effect while tracking. As with FX, it's best to leave it until mixdown, then add what you need. Experiment with this as well. A general rule of thumb is if you need to add tons of EQ, go back and re-record the track better.

Back