TASCAM DP-008 recording live

davidnyc64

Hi forum, I have a question regarding the Tascam DP008 recorder. I have been using this for over a year and am really happy with it. I've been using the built in condensor mics to record myself singing and playing guitar live. I want to start using my Shure mic for vocals and have the built in record my guitar when I play live. Is this a good way to record live or is there another way that would be better? I usually have track 1 and 2 recording at the same time.

Thanks for any feedback.
Davidnyc64

Need a bit more info to give you an answer. How high quality do you want the recording to be? Is your guitar acoustic? Does it have electronics or is it electric? When you say you are recording LIVE, does that mean on stage or just sitting around at home? Do you have any mixers, etc?

Minus any of this info, my answer would be NO, you won't get a very good quality mix between the Shure (BTW what model is it) and the built in. You'd have to position the recorder itself VERY close to an acoustic guitar w/o a pickup to get any kind of quality balance in my opinion. If the guitar is electric or an acoustic with pickup, it becomes another ball game. You'd use the guitar input.

Tascam DP008

Need a bit more info to give you an answer. How high quality do you want the recording to be? Is your guitar acoustic? Does it have electronics or is it electric? When you say you are recording LIVE, does that mean on stage or just sitting around at home? Do you have any mixers, etc?

Minus any of this info, my answer would be NO, you won't get a very good quality mix between the Shure (BTW what model is it) and the built in. You'd have to position the recorder itself VERY close to an acoustic guitar w/o a pickup to get any kind of quality balance in my opinion. If the guitar is electric or an acoustic with pickup, it becomes another ball game. You'd use the guitar input.

Hi, thanks for your input. What I like to do is sit at home in front of my Tascam, play a song unplugged and record it. I have been using the built in mics and the recording sounds good but I wanted to try and plug in my Shure 58 for vocal and still use the built ins for the guitar. I recently tried it and I wasn't happy with the result. I ended up plugging the guitar and mic using track 1 for vocal and 2 for guitar. It sounded much better than the previous method. I have to admit, just using the built in mics came pretty darn close. I guess it comes down to trial and error. Thank you very much for your response.

Yes, I agree, the built-in mics are pretty good. We recently recorded a live show from the audience with the Tascam inside my wife's cloth handbag. The quality was impressive, all things considered. I record our rehearsals with my mixer output (vocals, drum machine, acoustic and mic'ed lead guitars into track 1 and mic'ed bass into track 2. Then, if we get anything worth keeping, I master into the computer adding a bit of panning and level adjustment between the bass and everything else. The quality is amazingly good.

The 008 is a super little machine!!!

Back