Tascam DP-004 & Blackbird (first impressions)

ksounds

Well I bought the Tascam DP-004 this week and it arrived yesterday. I have owned the DP-01fx in the past (among other Tascam products), and I rather liked it. I have been looking for a portable recorder to take with me whereever I went, and was looking at the new zoom h4n, but then I saw the DP-004, and it looked like it would fit the bill for considerably less. All I wanted was something I could record acoustic guitar and vocals on...anywhere. I don't care about fx, eq or any of that stuff. I just wanted something that sounded decent and that I could record ambient textures with...the DP-004 does all of this very, very well:D

It seems built well enough, it's small and it looks really sharp. The built in microphones sound very decent indeed. The menu is very easy to navigate, and if you have any experience with Tascam's bigger digital multitracks, then the dp-004 is immediately familiar. Best of all, it runs on 4 AA batteries-PORTABLE!!! Really is about the size of a paperback novel.

I always felt you had to crank the inputs of the dp-01 to get a strong mic signal. That is not the case with the dp-004. The built in condensers are nice and sensitive. You have three ranges to choose from:low, medium and high. Medium does the job nicely with the inputs set a little past 12:00. Using a condenser mic requires an external mixer or mic pre, unless you have a battery powered one, like the Rode NT3, which I happen to own. You will also need an xlr>1/4" impedance adapter, no xlr inputs. The microphone setting is waaaay to sensitive for condenser microphones. Setting input to "line high" does the job nicely.

So how does it sound? I think it sounds great, using a microphone or the built in mics. The built in microphones really do sound nice and seem to have a nice frequency response. For vocals, I like to sing directly into a single microphone, but preliminary tests with the built in mics sound very decent.

So, anxious to try the dp-004 out, I headed to my garage with my acoustic and my Rode NT3. I close miked the guitar with the Rode on track1, and used an internal microphone as an ambient room mic for track 2, and recorded the guitar track (you can only record two tracks at a time0. I did the same for tracks 3&4 on vocals, then mixed the whole thing to taste. The guitar and vocals were 1 take. I know I missed the high note at the end, but whatever:rolleyes:. All in all, as a song writing tool, I'm pretty pleased with this little unit. Thanks for checking out my version of "Blackbird" by the Beatles-it's really pitchy and I have not rehersed it too much, it's really just for illustration purposes. I have only recently started fingerpicking, but I am really enjoying learning. This is all straight out of the box, just as it was recorded.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=935364

Last edited:
So I updated the song. I felt it would only be fair to show what this little unit can do in real-world settings using only the internal mics, as I felt this is what people would be most interested in hearing. So it's been updated using only the internal mics. The unit was placed on top of my desk, in my office(hardly an ideal environment), with a quick run-through of the acoustic guitar recorded in stereo, then the vocal track recorded in stereo. I also faded the song in and out, that's it. So as a song-writing tool, this is what it can do in it's most basic form. Thanks.

I approve.

I like the DP-004. It's a pretty neat little package. I thought of getting one, with a few reservations.

I have the Pocketstudio 5, DP-02cf and a couple dozen other tape 4-track Portastudios. Not sure if the 004 would be money well spent, or if it's best to just use what I have. $200 buys a lot of tape!:eek:;)

The Pocketstudio 5 records directly to MP3 format, has built in mic and plays MIDI sequences with an internal TG. Not sure if the DP-004 is really an upgrade or a lateral move from that.

High end Portastudios give SO much more in useable features. There's really no comparison.

Not sure if I'd really like it, or find it just another gimmicky device. I'm ATM against buying the DP-004, but I (like e'one else) like new toys.:eek:;)

Attachments

• 1-Tascam DP-004.jpg
    1-Tascam DP-004.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 97
I have the Pocketstudio 5, DP-02cf and a couple dozen other tape 4-track Portastudios. Not sure if the 004 would be money well spent, or if it's best to just use what I have. $200 buys a lot of tape!:eek:;)

Dave, you are a true collector of all things Tascam...something tells me you will be scoring one of these little guys sooner or later;)

But, you are right in that you have all your recording needs covered without this little guy. I don't have the pocketstudio, but I believe this might be a little more compact(?), records CD quality wave files, and has the built in stereo condenser microphones, which as I've said are sensitive enough and sound very decent-stereo separation is nice as well. It also has a nice big scroll wheel like the dp-01/02 series, which makes menu navigation and song naming easy. Also, it might be a little more attractive than the older pocketstudios, the same way the new dp02 is a bit sleeker than the dp01s. I wish the display was backlit, and I wish it had a 1/4" thread on the bottom so you could mount to a stand. I also wish it could record all 4 tracks at once, but that's about all I can fault it for.

High end Portastudios give SO much more in useable features. There's really no comparison.

Not sure if I'd really like it, or find it just another gimmicky device. I'm ATM against buying the DP-004, but I (like e'one else) like new toys.:eek:;)

Obviously this little guy isn't meant to replace the more fully featured portastudios or DAW's. It's simply a take anywhere, no frills, 4 track recorder that offers really nice results for what it is. It's nice that you don't have to think too much when using it, just play and have fun. Sometimes a bunch of gear in front of you makes things feel so serious. This reminds me of the old days when you pop a tape in the boombox and hit record. It's layed out well and works like it's supposed to. USB works great with macs, and you just drag and drop wave files into garageband...nice. I also plan on using it to record ambient noises (beach, city, nature) for a little sound fx library, as well as off the cuff moments with friends and families (think back porch bbq's and acoustic jamming). It is a pretty neat little recorder. I think Tascam has a winner with this one, I like it alot and am glad they still see that there is a niche for this type of device. Also, the demo song that comes with the unit sounds amazing, much better than my rendition of blackbird.

Also, that image is accurate. There is no "speaker" button at the top. What is actually there is a "rec mode" button that lets you select any one of the 4 recording modes available with this unit.

Last edited:
I've read a few online specs and it's stated that the unit can go about 8 hrs with AA batteries. Any idea if it will work OK with rechargables which are a bit lower in voltage?

It should work fine, it just won't last quite as long. But i haven't tried them yet.

Dave, you are a true collector of all things Tascam...something tells me you will be scoring one of these little guys sooner or later;)
I've not ruled it out completely!

But, you are right in that you have all your recording needs covered without this little guy.
Many, many times over!

I don't have the pocketstudio, but I believe this might be a little more compact(?), records CD quality wave files, and has the built in stereo condenser microphones,;)
Yeah. All improvements in those features.

which as I've said are sensitive enough and sound very decent-stereo separation is nice as well.;)
I could hear that in your sample. It's plenty loud and sounds good.

It also has a nice big scroll wheel like the dp-01/02 series, which makes menu navigation and song naming easy. Also, it might be a little more attractive than the older pocketstudios, the same way the new dp02 is a bit sleeker than the dp01s.;)
It looks like they lopped off a quarter slice of the DP02 and called it a day.

I wish the display was backlit, and I wish it had a 1/4" thread on the bottom so you could mount to a stand.;)
Minor peeves, but I agree.

I also wish it could record all 4 tracks at once, but that's about all I can fault it for.;)
That would be a big improvement.

Obviously this little guy isn't meant to replace the more fully featured portastudios or DAW's.;)
Not at all.

It's simply a take anywhere, no frills, 4 track recorder that offers really nice results for what it is.;)
Definitely that.

It's nice that you don't have to think too much when using it, just play and have fun. Sometimes a bunch of gear in front of you makes things feel so serious.
Yeah,... sometimes.

This reminds me of the old days when you pop a tape in the boombox and hit record.
Yeah, sometimes setup for a "real" session can be cumbersome or an inspiration killer.

It's layed out well and works like it's supposed to.
It's all good.

I think Tascam has a winner with this one, I like it alot and am glad they still see that there is a niche for this type of device.
Me too. And the price is right.

Also, the demo song that comes with the unit sounds amazing, much better than my rendition of blackbird.
Your demo sounds fine. I'd only wish to hear you reach for those high notes, but that's a nitpick.

Also, that image is accurate. There is no "speaker" button at the top.
I'll double check that. Funny, did the prototype include a speaker mode?

What is actually there is a "rec mode" button that lets you select any one of the 4 recording modes available with this unit.
4 modes? Tracking mono, stereo, overdubbing and mixdown?

...Thanx!

Dude!

Sweet!

Like, duh! I could have looked at my DP02 for that, but of course drew a blank instead!:eek:;)

PS: I like the capability of the original Pocketstudio (5), and recording directly to MP3 is okay,... sound quality is fine,... but it's only drawback was to need an MP3-to-Wav encoder to get it upsampled & onto CD!

For as many features as they stripped from the PS5 when going to the DP004, the 04's native Wav format is a really smart and key selling point. Native MP3 format on the original PS5 was the biggest detracting factor from the format,... tho' the Pocket- technology was in it's infancy then. I'm sure now Tascam's selling DP004's like "Starbucks!":eek:;)/DA

Sweet!
For as many features as they stripped from the PS5 when going to the DP004, the 04's native Wav format is a really smart and key selling point. Native MP3 format on the original PS5 was the biggest detracting factor from the format,... tho' the Pocket- technology was in it's infancy then. I'm sure now Tascam's selling DP004's like "Starbucks!":eek:;)/DA

The wave format and the stereo condenser microphones, not to mention the ease of use, were the main reasons I jumped on this. Had it not been for the 44.1kHz/16-bit WAV, I probably would have passed for some other manufacturer's model. And you are right, the price seems to be right.

Can you bridge both inputs to Mono?

(No might be a deal breaker for me. I'll explain later).:eek:;)

Yes you can set the inputs to stereo or mono mode. Also , you can assign any of the tracks either input a or b, your choice. You can mix and match input options as well, so you could use an external mic or guitar on input a, and one of the internal mics on input b at the same time. Much like the others in the dp series. :cool:

A few "interesting" reviews over on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Tascam-DP004-...ummary_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Can't use a standard wall wart PS?
"Minor Con 2: The optional power supply PS-P520 is not a generic 5-volt AC adapter. The DC plug shape is not standard. If AC adapter is not an option to you, you need to spend another $20 to $30 on this adapter."

Well I bought it for it's battery capabilities...it's portability. Not sure what kind of adapter it would use. I would say I've used the unit for a total of four hours, and the battery indicates "full". Also, I didn't even crack the manual to figure this thing out, but I have had some history with the dp-01, so it seemed logical (I did spend some time with the dp-01 manual as I recall). Exporting the wave files to the fat partition is easy enough through the menu options...then all you do is connect the device via the usb 2.0 and bam, there it is on your desktop-class compliant. Drag and drop files from the wave file to your computer hard drive, or directly to garageband...couldn't be easier really.

Also, the stereo separation really is good. I don't think I hard panned my vocals on this song, but the guitar track is. Playing with it now, and the stereo separation adds a bit of dimension to recorded tracks, especially for acoustic guitars.

I...

I'd be interested in bridging both inputs to mono & recording it down to a single track, (as one technique used often).:eek:;)

Used my DP-004 on the back porch today...

So today I had a few moments to practice my finger picking and try to come up with some ideas for a song while the mrs. and kid were out. I'm posting some of what I recorded. You can hear neighborhood sounds like birds and lawnmowers, and around the 3 minute mark it starts to rain. I call out a few cues to help with chord changes I like. This is simply recording some ideas outside, rough sketches. Just set the dp-004 on the table in front of me and hit record. Done in stereo and mixed down with hard pans. Done with the internal mics...they sound nice. Headphones recommended if you want to really hear how sensitive the mics are. If anyone is interested, it's the recording called "Sunday practice". The dp-004 is incredibly convenient for this type of thing.

Did my homework,...

I RTFM. I found that the Mono mode affects monitoring only (to the headphones and Line Outs), & that it doesn't bridge (buss) the inputs together when concerned with inputs-to-track assignments.

One input may be assigned to more than one track simultaneously, but more than one input may not be assigned any single track at any time. So, it's back to my synopsis of the DP-02 (family), that to accomplish this you must use a front end mixer.

I like to take a line-in guitar/bass and mix a close mic from the body of the guitar,... mixed down (bussed) and recorded down to one track. It's a primary technique I use all the time, so it's a capability I look for when sizing up gear. In the classic Portastudio sense, this was common and easy to do onboard. In the modern (digital) Portastudio sense, it would require a front end mixer.

I like the DP-004 for it's small size and portability, and it obviously sounds good and has good computer file compatibility, but it offers nothing new in the sense of what I'm looking for. It would be a good strategy for me to stick with the DP02cf and use a front end mixer, or else use a full featured "classic" Portastudio.

I've not forgotten that the DP-004 is a "Pocketstudio", not a Portastudio, and it fits that niche pretty well, FWIW. Having been weened on the Pocketstudio5, I sort of wish they brought a few more features accross from the PS5 over to the PS DP-004, but e'one has a wish list of one sort or another.:eek:;)

Aye!

I have now managed to successfully master and export to my laptop a couple of songs recorded on my new dp-004. However, I have another song, which I can listen to in playback mode but when I go to record mode and to "master rec" it keeps saying "trk too short". Have I done something wrong or is this some sort of gremlin? Is there anyway of salvaging things so that I can mix this song?

I purchased for a system to pickup sound for my camcorder a Zoom H2...and it has 4 onboard mics and of course 4 track capability.

Doesnt tascam have something that can be mounted in a shock mount and be used as a camcorder mic...like the H2...I love the new HD video...but they still have horrible sound pickup.

I have now managed to successfully master and export to my laptop a couple of songs recorded on my new dp-004. However, I have another song, which I can listen to in playback mode but when I go to record mode and to "master rec" it keeps saying "trk too short". Have I done something wrong or is this some sort of gremlin? Is there anyway of salvaging things so that I can mix this song?

Did you mark the In/Out points for the begginning/end of the song in Tracking mode before switching to Master mode?:eek:;)

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. According to the instructions you have to switch to Master rec mode and THEN press the in/out keys. That's what I did with other songs. But it won't let me switch to Master rec in the first place for this one.

Back