Tascam 688 vs 2488

mariosapm

Could you elaborate on the pros and cons for a rock band.

I currently own the 688.

I dont enjoy lo-fi sounds. I love analog though.

I didn't post this in the analog-only forum but I would appreciate a response from people who have actually experience both machines at their best.

Would it make sense to buy a 2488 since i already own a 688? Especially since we like the analog sound?

Well, we have a little studio with p.a. and everything. so we have some mic. I assume we will cut the rough tracks and then do some re-recordings over the scratch tracks and fill with some guitar solos and backing vocals. (2 inputs for the electronic drums, one for bass, 2 for guitars, 2 for vocals, 1 for guitar solos and backing vocals together).
I

OK.

I can't give you any head-to-head comparison between the two units as I've never owned a 688, but I've been very happy with the 2488 for the past 3 years. I don't have any particular affinity for analog - to me, it's a much less durable medium and a digital unit gives you a lot of flexibility within one box.

Also I can't advise as to whether you should get a 2488 given that you already have a 688. But the 2488 is very affordable. And if you like analog flavor you could always record tracks on the 688 and port them over to the 2488, maybe get the best of both worlds that way.

Back