TASCAM 688 pros?

thecolorofdave

Hi,

Okay so I am working on setting up a new recording rig at home. The basic set up is as follows:

TASCAM 688 machine, 8 channels > Using RCA to 1/4 snake plugged into the Group outs > 1/4 end is connected to a Zoom R24 interface, 1 channel per tascam = 1 channel per Zoom > The zoom runs in to PC through USB.

The problem:

I am using the Group outs on the tascam machine and running them into each of the Zoom tracks (8 inputs).

Im loaded on Scene 11 on the 688, my tracks are armed and volume up.

However it seems the group outs want to split everything into LEFT/RIGHT. So Ive panned each track on the tascam machine to either be HARD LEFT or HARD RIGHT..

But this poses a problem, if all my master faders are turned up, and I am tracking drums through the tascam - ie 4 microphones. The way group outs is sending the audio to my Zoom, is that 2 mics are panned left and 2 mics are panned right. And each track isnt an "individual" track. I am getting 2 tracks per one track (im unsure how to describe this...)

I want: I would much rather it be... I plug mic into channel 1 of tascam. RCA for group out in channel 1 is going to channel 1 of zoom. I get channel 1 of tascam on computer. I plug mic 2 into channel 3 of tascam... RCA for group out in channel 3.. going to channel 3 in zoom. I get channel 3 of tascam on computer. (Isolated from channel 1)

Im looking through the manual trying to find solutions for this problem, wondering if any of you may have a solution. Is there any way I can directly send each tracks output to my Zoom (if I center pan everything.. then ALL tracks are on individual tracks , which is a disaster for mixing because I cant target individual mics, they become a group)

Sorry for the wordiness of this post.

##Quick Edit:

Just so you know, this set up I am not actually tracking to tape, I am using the TASCAM 688 as a mixing console for its pres and EQ before sending the tracks into my DAW. My plan is to mix on my DAW, then send a stero track back out the pc into the TASCAM, and Record this mix to tape, do tweaks and then send the Tape MIX back to PC, to get a tape warmth to the final mix

I'm not going to be the expert you're seeking, but...

I believe there should be a scene that would assign each channel, 1-8, to each individual subgroup out, 1-8 respectively, to where the Pan control would not have any effect on the subgroup feed.

Alt., you may through a sequence of button pushes assign channels 1-8 to subgroups 1-8, manually.

It may take referencing the user's manual to accomplish this simple task.

Also, I'd not recommend mixing down to the 688, then back again to the computer. I think you'd lose too much fidelity in the bounce to cassette, as the tape speed is moderately slow and the 688 track width is incredibly small. To get reasonably near the analog sound you're probably looking for would be to dub your digital mix onto a half-track 15ips (reel/reel) mastering machine. Then the analog bounce would be worth the sonic penalty.

I'm sorry if this post is too general to answer the specifics of your question. However, I know the 688 operation can be figured out in a relatively short time, to achieve what you're looking for.

:spank::eek:;)

Thanks for your response, that is helpful. I will look into the scene selection option of the manual. That makes perfect sense.

The fidelity is something I only partially have given thought to... I think of records like Guided by voices, or Nebraska or Iron & Wine, which were recorded on a small tape deck machine as a reference for trying something like this.. but I guess those were tracked analog on to the machine, mixed and then sent to digital, a 2 step process, my course of action would be digital, to analog back to digital - that would make for a nosier final product?

I am looking into: half-track 15ips (reel/reel) mastering machine... keeping my eyes open for Tascam 42B unit for like 250..

Last edited:
Hi,

Okay so I am working on setting up a new recording rig at home. The basic set up is as follows:

TASCAM 688 machine, 8 channels > Using RCA to 1/4 snake plugged into the Group outs > 1/4 end is connected to a Zoom R24 interface, 1 channel per tascam = 1 channel per Zoom > The zoom runs in to PC through USB.

The problem:

I am using the Group outs on the tascam machine and running them into each of the Zoom tracks (8 inputs).

Im loaded on Scene 11 on the 688, my tracks are armed and volume up.

However it seems the group outs want to split everything into LEFT/RIGHT. So Ive panned each track on the tascam machine to either be HARD LEFT or HARD RIGHT..

But this poses a problem, if all my master faders are turned up, and I am tracking drums through the tascam - ie 4 microphones. The way group outs is sending the audio to my Zoom, is that 2 mics are panned left and 2 mics are panned right. And each track isnt an "individual" track. I am getting 2 tracks per one track (im unsure how to describe this...)

I want: I would much rather it be... I plug mic into channel 1 of tascam. RCA for group out in channel 1 is going to channel 1 of zoom. I get channel 1 of tascam on computer. I plug mic 2 into channel 3 of tascam... RCA for group out in channel 3.. going to channel 3 in zoom. I get channel 3 of tascam on computer. (Isolated from channel 1)

Im looking through the manual trying to find solutions for this problem, wondering if any of you may have a solution. Is there any way I can directly send each tracks output to my Zoom (if I center pan everything.. then ALL tracks are on individual tracks , which is a disaster for mixing because I cant target individual mics, they become a group)

Sorry for the wordiness of this post.

##Quick Edit:

Just so you know, this set up I am not actually tracking to tape, I am using the TASCAM 688 as a mixing console for its pres and EQ before sending the tracks into my DAW. My plan is to mix on my DAW, then send a stero track back out the pc into the TASCAM, and Record this mix to tape, do tweaks and then send the Tape MIX back to PC, to get a tape warmth to the final mix

What you want to use is something like the Scene number 10 where channel 1 is going out directly to grp 1 and only grp 1, ch 2 to grp 2. etc. and the pan position is basically by passed. Whereas on Scene 11 every channel is going out on all groups and L/R busses.

Back