Tascam 688 - pinch rollers?

Trovador98

Hi guys,

I just picked up a Tascam 688 from craigslist ($70) with a non-functioning tape section. A quick evaluation leads me to believe that I need a new pinch roller. Capstan seems to be turning without an issue or weird noises. I'm going to pull it apart soon to diagnose further. I'll supply pictures of the guts soon. I was surprised at the heft of this thing!

Does anyone know where I can find the pinch roller for this unit? The capstan belts and idler tires are easier to source on ebay.

Thank you,
Brian

Hey Doug,
Thanks for the advice. Terry wasn't familiar with the unit and said he needs the core of the roller to be metal to work with. I think these are on a plastic or nylon roller. I'll take it apart soon to be certain.

Any other places to find these things?

Did you try contacting Tascam directly? I don't have their contact info handy, but a few years ago I was able to order parts for my 688 and they were very helpful. They didn't have everything in stock, but what they had was inexpensive and shipped promptly.

Did you try contacting Tascam directly? I don't have their contact info handy, but a few years ago I was able to order parts for my 688 and they were very helpful. They didn't have everything in stock, but what they had was inexpensive and shipped promptly.

Booya! I had sent a message through the Tascam website that I was looking for the pinch roller for the 688. That fell into the black hole. I called the parts department and they had one on hand...$13 shipped. Not too bad!

Thanks Heatmiser!

I'll be doing surgery on this thing next week and will post my progress (or lack thereof)

Back