tascam 688/238 speed issue

moogmymellotron

hiya guys, i recently posted a thread about my ill tascam 688.

it was suffering from really bad speed fluctuations. New belt and new capstan motor installed AND...

the problem came back after a few days of use. im suspecting the PCB for the motor control? ive read from several sources that the 238s and 688s shared similar boards and often had the same speed issues.

i was wondering if anyone out there has fixed something like this on either machine. im beginning to run out of ideas for what could be plaguing my recorder. the last thing i have left to do is to recap the PCB for the motor control. if anyone could point me in a new direction id greatly appreciate it!

thank you!:drunk:

Yup, I have followed this for some time and didn't wanna say but usually the motors are not to blame on those things but rather the components which control the motor. That's the extent of my knowledge but replacing a motor won't cure this problem (as you've found).

I'm sure someone here can lend a hand on identifying the "control" PCB and replacing components.

i did some research on this when i bought my 238's, seems to be the caps on the motor board. I don't think i have the links marked but i did see on a board where a guy fixed his 238 by recapping that board. otherwise you have to send it to tascam to get them to replace the whole board and motor. It can't hurt to recap the board.

thanks, those were two of the three i was thinking of
i know i read one where a guy had fixed his 238 like that
but i can't remember where.........hmmmmmm
must be old age at mid thirties? :D
that's my story.............

ill def be taking my unit apart in the morning and find suitable replacement capacitors for the machine.

my next question..

ive read somewhere that the unit has two chips that are responsible for the actually stabilization of the motor speed. anyone w any info on this..please..

ill be running through and do the work myself since recapping is not a big deal. I never really examined the pcb for issues so i suppose ill be spending a few hrs testing!

any knowledge is more than appreciated.

Back