Tascam 58 rewind issue. Can't figure it out. See linked video

Jonk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxhl4_0-Xgg&feature=youtu.be

The transport pulls the tape upward when I enact rewind. See video.

I've adjusted tension on the machine for play, rewind, and fastforward using a tentelometer. And I've adjusted as much as I can the left reel table height, the left tape lifter height, and the first (left most) tape guide height. But if I try to bring them down any more, then it effects the centering of the tape during playback.

I don't really understand what is doing it. It's seems to help a little when I manually force the tape lifters down so the tape is closer to the heads when in rewind. But it still rubs on the top of the left most guide and is off the rubber track on the counter roller.

Is this something I'll just have to live with? Any ideas?

Maybe its just a case of the reel table not sitting 100% true and there-by spinning off center and creating the uneven winds/rubbing?

I'm seeing some wobble on the reel flanges which would indicate that or a bad supply reel as apposed to the reel table itself being off.

How true does the reel table spin without a reel of tape on it? Any detectable wobble from that alone?

Cheers! :)

Yeah,
The reel table has some wobble. I suppose I'll try and shim it. Good eye. I didn't think that would be the issue because I would have thought it would pull it up AND down, back and forth.

Yeah,
The reel table has some wobble. I suppose I'll try and shim it. Good eye. I didn't think that would be the issue because I would have thought it would pull it up AND down, back and forth.

Yes, you would have thought so wouldn't you.
Is the clue in that the tape doesn't ride up immediately...there's a half-second delay. Looking a few times at the video, is the supply reel roller guide (tension roller) 'true'. It looks like it may be slightly warped or bent. If the tension rollers are the same, then I'd swop them over and see if the problem transfers to the FF process.
Al

Back