Tascam 58 Motherboard

Spooler

Hi all. I have a problem with my Tascam 58 amp motherboard, Ive been over this thing with a fine tooth comb and cannot find a problem in the board its self. The PCB has 1 resistor and 1 diode and 1 reed relay for every 2 channels, the resistor and diode have been replaced but the relay has not due to the fact i can not source the identical item. Can somebody explain to me what this reed relay(LAB2 12v DC) actually does. Cheers.

Power Mute

Those relays disconnect the output jacks during power up to prevent noise etc.

Once the deck powers up the relays engage and connect the channel cards output to the output jacks.

If you tell us what problem you are seeing we may be able to help.

Regards, Ethan

No Output

Firstly, let me thank you for your reply. Well the problem is that i have no output on channels 5&6, as i said the PCB is faultless so the only thing to do now is to replace the reed relay and go from there. As i cannot source the identical relay, would there be a compatible relay that would do the job. Cheers.:)

Could you post a pic of the relay and get the number off of it. If they used the same ones on some of the Tascam other
machines I may have one.

Firstly, let me thank you for your reply. Well the problem is that i have no output on channels 5&6, as i said the PCB is faultless so the only thing to do now is to replace the reed relay and go from there. As i cannot source the identical relay, would there be a compatible relay that would do the job. Cheers.:)

Not doubting, just making sure. Does this mean that you verified the signal on the input of the relay and none on the output plus verified the control voltage to the relays?

Regards, Ethan

Relay

I will be putting the machine back on the bench today after finishing a repair job, but i remember off the top of my head, yes the input signal was at the input of the relay and the voltages were from 24vDC off the PCB down to around 13vDC at the relay, but like i said i will check all that again. This is not a repair job, it`s my own machine:). By the way i cant put pics up yet. Cheers. Dave.

Last edited:
Good to hear that you are on top of it. If the offer for a few does not come through you might try sourcing them through the usual parts places for your location. I'm thinking that most 24v reel relays that have the same form factor will work.

-Ethan

Hey,
Digging this one up again. I have exactly the same problem on my Tascam 58, but strangely it's only on one channel (4) and I thought those relays controlled two channels each. Anyway, the Tascam part number from the manual is 5042517000. On the Reed Relay is says 12V Lab2L.

Were you ever able to find a replacement?

Back